Monday, June 20, 2011

Official truck

The old cars have left town and I thought that I would probably be moving along from motor vehicles to some other topic. Instead, I passed this motor vehicle parked on the street near Lake Como.I didn't do so well with the old cars, only scoring 50 percent but I am going to go ahead and confidently identify this as a 1993 Chevrolet pick up. It says so right on the door.

This is completely new territory for me but I googled "official truck of the Indianapolis 500 1973 and stumbled into an entire subset of truck hobbyists. There is an official truck every year and there is an active culture of collectors and collectible trucks.

I decided to look up the race, as opposed to the official truck.

That's the Voice of the 500, the great Paul Page, doing the description of the race. Looking at the field I suspect that my pick that year was Mario Andretti. I am positive that GRider would have selected Danny Sullivan. Even at this remote from 1993 moment in time I can almost feel her palpable disappointment as Sullivan crashes and finishes last.

There are some extremely famous names in that field, the winner was Fittipaldi.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Sweet truck!

Mrs Smith said...

I miss Danny Sullivan.