Saturday, April 9, 2011

Streak broken

After each day of late being nicer than the day before today was not. It was grey and cool and the predicted 30 percent chance of rain ended up being sprinkles on two occasions during the ride. Sprinkles in cold weather are a bit unpleasant but sprinkles can be ridden through.

I found more flowers. Does anyone know what these are?They are in the tall flowering grasses yard in my neighborhood that I will end up picturing several times through the season. These are the first. There are actually quite a lot of them and indeed something else too as evidenced by this photo of what I could see deeper in the yard from my curbside vantage point.I think this is fairly big news but I expect no one else to care even slightly. The corn field was given a full plowing last fall. You cannot plant after a full plowing until you do a secondary cultivation. That secondary cultivation has now been done. The results are not a very dramatic photo but you can see a little corn plant debris at the edge of the field. Planting may be coming pretty soon.I still rise most days at about the same time that I have for years, the time when I have to be up to go to work. Due to the fact that I do not have to go to work I sometimes stay up too late but I still end up awakening at about the regular time. This is no hardship because I have plenty of other opportunities during the rest of the 24 hours to erase any sleep deficit. There are few things as good as a good nap.

But I have seen a lot of late night TV that I didn't used to see at all or saw only very rarely. Here's my opinion of the various shows:

Letterman still seems the best to me although some nights he seems to be just going through the motions. Leno was consistently funny when he was a guest on Letterman but has rarely been funny since. Conan seems like he is trying too hard. George Lopez is better as a comic actor than he is as a comic. Jimmy Kimmel is sometimes very funny but I still mostly feel as though his high water mark was as second banana on "Ben Stein's Money". Ferguson is quite funny at first watching but of late it seems to me that his humor is in the exact same vein every time. He needs to expand his oeuvre. I have not actually seen Carson Daly yet. I like Jimmy Fallon, he is occasionally quite amusing and his show has started to grow on me. That is how I happened to be watching last week when this happened.

Paul Simon and Stomp.

Here's a day after edit. I didn't like the ad that ran before the video but I figured out that the ad only runs if you embed the video. If I just provide a link to the website you can watch the clip there without any annoying ads. So that's what I have done. I still recommend watching.

It was a fun watch and I think the fun comes through in the video. Stomp is routinely phenomenal, Paul Simon is always fabulous and Jimmy shouldn't quite his day job (or in his case, night job), but he does just fine.

I have two items of bicycle related content. Today I saw the Tall Bike Guy for the first time this year. Interestingly enough I have previously seen another tall bike but it wasn't TBG. TBG was riding up the hill on Como near Snelling when I was riding down. As is his custom he greeted me, although he did so this time by raising his hand. My recollection is that last year he had a bell on the handlebars for greeting purposes.

And tomorrow is Paris Roubaix, the Hell of the North, the Queen of the Classics. Two time winner Fabian Cancellara will bid for a third and second consecutive. He may be a bit more vulnerable than he has been the last couple of years as indicated by his earlier this spring failure to repeat as defending champion of the Tour of Flanders. There will be live text updates on cyclingnews.com and VeloNews.com with live TV coverage available for a fee at cycling.tv. Last year I was able to watch one of the European tv feeds for free although I believe the commentary I listened to was in Polish. Here is a link to possible live pirate coverage sources.

1 comment:

Jimi said...

Those flowers are crocuses. I have some in my back yard.