Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Stay tuned

Nothing has actually started here yet. I probably could have ridden my bicycle. The weather radar always, always looked threatening and I feel a bit beaten down by day after day of riding in 15 to 20 degree below average temperatures. In the immediate post lunch time slot when I usually ride I instead took a nap. After that there was interesting football on TV and after that I took a walk. It seems to me that even though I am a bicyclist that working on maintaining walking fitness too is still a good idea.About half way through the walk a fine mist began. By the time I got home the mist particles were morphing from the liquid into one of the solid forms of water. So stay tuned, something still seems to be coming.

Following up on sports activities from yesterday, here is what was reported today in the local fish wrap in what I believe is still called agate type:

College baseball (nonconference)
Saint Thomas 4, Bethany Lutheran 3
Saint Thomas 6, Bethany Lutheran 0

Also found in the agate type, in Men's College golf, the Gustavus Bobby Krig Invitational was completed yesterday. Saint John's was first, followed by Gustavus, Wisconsin-Eau Claire with Saint Thomas fourth. Bethany Lutheran was either 12th out of 13 or 15th out of 16 depending upon how you look at it. Saint John's, Gustavus and Saint Thomas each entered TWO teams. Saint John's II was 6th overall, Gustavus Black was 8th and Saint Thomas II 9th. For Bethany, it looks to me like the baseball went a bit better than the golf.

I don't know, entering two teams is fine, it gives more people a chance to play some competitive golf, but reporting the scores of both teams to the newspaper just seems like piling it on the likes of poor old Bethany Lutheran. Bethany Lutheran took 1,041 strokes to complete the 54 holes of the event. I believe that in college golf each team is composed of 5 players with the team score being the cumulative of the 4 lowest scoring members of the team. That means Bethany had average 54 hole totals of 260 for the scores that counted towards the team total. That was 48 strokes over par of 212 for the tournament (the first 18 was played on a par 72 course, the final two 18s were played on a par 70 course). That is getting pretty close to even bogey scoring.

Saint John's winning score was 875, a 54 hole average of 219 per counting score, 7 shots over par per player. Saint John's two teams scored 875 and 894, Gustavus scored 879 and 911, Saint Thomas scored 887 and 917. I checked the individual scores on the Gustavus website and Bethany's top individual shot 231, 19 over par, tied for 39th place. The winning team, Saint John's, had 10 individuals entered on its two teams, 9 of them shot scores better than Bethany's top player, the last of the 10 shot the same score as the Bethany player.

Reporting the second team score (what in high school sports would be referred to as the JV) just seems like piling it on to the likes of poor old Bethany Lutheran. By the way, Saint Mary's was last with 1,044.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Nice shot of the Notre Dame Cathedral. Some day I want to see that for myself.