Friday, April 29, 2011

Some are better than others

We had a short period around noon today when spring returned. It was about 60 and sunny if a bit windy when I headed out for my ride with all indications pointing to temperatures rising in the afternoon to a high of 64. I was dressed for 60 which meant shorts and my lightest weight jacket, the one that rolls up easily to go into my jersey pocket. I anticipated having to remove the jacket as temperatures rose during the ride. I had a destination in mind. I had high hopes.

I rode through that light rail construction zone over on University and got a flat tire. I ride with everything I need to fix a flat tire. But as I considered my plight I knew that if I changed out the flat over there next to the construction that my first destination after getting the tire fixed would be home. I can change the tire on the road and have done it many times. But I have found that the CO2 mini pump that I use doesn't give me as high a pressure in the tire as what I am used to riding. The repaired tire functions just fine but it FEELS a little flat. I was early in the ride, I knew that if I wanted to ride far that even with a repaired tire that I would immediately head home to rendezvous with my floor pump to get that tire back up to my preferred pressure.

As I considered this it occurred to me that in a fortuitous twist TOPWLH was not working today. I knew she was at home so I pulled out my phone and played my get out of jail free card. She came over and picked me up.

I spent the nicest part of the day doing this:I repaired the flat tire in the comfort and convenience of my garage.

I got the tire off and located the hole. I said to myself that the hole looked like the one made last year when a piece of wire made a double hole in a tube. It was not the typical small puncture that I usually get, instead it was an elongated wound, more like a slice than a puncture. I said that to myself but didn't act on my instinct. Instead I repaired the slice and remounted the tire. I tried to pump the tire up but could not.

*sigh*

I took the whole deal off and started again. And quickly located the second puncture hole. This puncture was on the tube seam next to the big slice wound. I prefer to repair my tubes but even I can take a hint. I discarded that tube and got a new one, my last new one, out of the basement.

By the time I got the repair finally completed the nice portion of the day had passed. The sun went away and the wind picked up.

I rode anyway but found that I was not dressed warmly enough. As I neared home to complete the ride I passed a woman getting her exercise by walking. She was wearing her winter coat with a scarf and mittens. Shorts and a light jacket wasn't warm enough on the bicycle.

All rides are good rides, some are better than others.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I hate it when that happens. A complicated repair, too. Nasty.

I'm sure you thanked Mrs. Smith for her timely aid.