Thursday, April 28, 2011

Recycle

I guess that today complaining about the weather would be out of line.

Weather such as we had this morning almost always keeps me inside. But a couple of days off the bicycle made me anxious to try and when the rain stopped I started checking the radar. It seemed obvious to my trained only by life experience eyes that the worst was over for a bit. More rain didn't seem likely.

By about 2pm the street looked dry enough so I suited up and gave it a try.

I just absolutely will not start in the rain but once out there I can be pretty hard to discourage. I got sprinkled on a bit, rode in a near mist for another bit, through it all it was cold. I rode for an hour but finally gave up. I decided that at least I had some exercise and I got the first photo of the year of a flowering shrub.That's not the usual first shrub but it is the same variety. This one is only a couple of blocks from my house.

I got dressed and went to the bakery. On the way home I noticed first that the day was brightening and then eventually that some clearing was occurring in the western sky.

I got geared back up and went out for another hour. Recycling.

I have heard stories about the massive snow pile at the Rice Street Sears. I have ridden past the Fairgrounds snow mountain several times. Here's a still impressive pile in the Cub parking lot at Har Mar.NewLOOK for scale.

I have documented that the Fairgrounds pile is being manipulated to speed the melt process. As for this Cub pile, on two occasions while shopping there this winter I observed a giant snow melting machine operating on the store side of the pile. I haven't seen anything like that since the sun started to do the melting.

The weather here didn't seem that bad at all even when overcast and I can now report that the sun has come out. All in all, an OK day trending towards nice.

1 comment:

Santini said...

It's early for re-cycling. It can be a little bit of a shock to your legs. Good on 'ya for persistence.

That's an impressive pile of parking lot snow.