Thursday, April 8, 2010

A small untruth

Today was another reminder of what average means. After many, many days of above average temperatures, today was COLD.

I told TOPWLH shortly before she left for work that it was TOO COLD for bicycling. Previously this year I have ridden in shorts and short sleeves, today's reversion to the 40s and the added layers of gear that would be required to ride in such weather just seemed like a too large step backwards. Outdoor activities looked like they would be pretty uncomfortable.

After she left I exhibited a lack of commitment to my earlier assertion. I kept looking out the window and from the window it looked to be a really, really pretty day. My final decision hinged on the fact that I DO have the gear. I told her an untruth. I am sorry (not exactly TWoods level of contrition, is it?).

It was cold and riding in the cold is hard work. However, the wind, which has been punitive, was only a wind, not a deal breaker. I pronounce that for me being outside today was nice.

Here's a sure sign of spring.That's a dime store kite in a tree in an area in which there is WAY too little space to try to fly a kite. It is a dime store kite and it has reached its final destination, a spot in which it will flap uselessly until the wind and the rain and the elements reduce what was a kite to only pieces of plastic, wood and string. I am reminded that the last time we had a kite in a tree it was a $35 kite and I rescued it. Try to get me to tell that story some time.

The wind was from the northeast and after making the turn for home I was riding along feeling pretty strong when OOOPPS! gotta get a picture of that! I know there have been flowers sighted in several places already this spring but I specialize in flowering shrubs and this is the first one of the year.I checked last year's blog and the same shrub is pictured on April 24. This shrub is an early bloomer, it gets flowers before it gets leaves. Last year it was the second flowering shrub I saw but came on the same day and within minutes of the sighting of the first flowering shrub.

Shortly after the shrubbery I confirmed that the final remaining unswept streets of the streets I ride have at last been swept. The shoulders on both County Road B and Lexington Avenue have remained gravel covered until today. Clearing these streets is important because my usual northern routes usually include at least a couple of blocks on both of those arterials.

Today the NewLOOK surpassed the Axis for miles ridden this year. I rode less miles this year on the Axis than is usual, another sign of the early spring. The new bicycle passing the bad streets bicycle in miles ridden reminds me of how hard those early spring miles on the Axis are. I have had several days on the new bicycle when I didn't feel all that well, but today, for really, REALLY the first time, I actually felt, at times, sort of strong. It is coming.

I rode over to the Fairgrounds towards the end of the ride and came across this display at the Cattle Barn.See, it WAS cold.

And as long as I was in the area at around 4:30 I checked in on the bankrupt bus company. WELL, as reported by lazerquest, that company isn't bankrupt at all. Here we see a much diminished fleet in the background as a SW Metro bus leaves the lot to go out and join rush hour.I followed that bus up to Como and sure enough, it turned right on Como and then took that immediate left onto the transitway.

Which just goes to show . . . well, I'm not exactly sure what it just goes to show except that if you are interested in the fortunes of a commuter bus company one of the best people to consult would be a bicycle commuter.

1 comment:

Swamp Settler (SS) said...

Payback for all that warm weather last month, I guess. That flowering shrub may regret its decision to bloom this early.