Saturday, April 3, 2010

Return of April

April returned with a vengeance today. Yesterday featured a thunderstorm which I am assuming heralded the passing of some sort of front because today was way different. Temperatures reverted to about average for this time of year (April for those still guessing) and a howling wind appeared from out of the West. A west wind is quite bit colder than a south wind.

I don't ride over there that often because it is sharply uphill all the way back but my default ride for a day with extremely strong southwest winds is the Stone Arch Bridge.I think this picture of Saint Anthony Falls makes an interesting contrast with the previous photo of Minnehaha Falls. The flow at Minnehaha has lessened considerably from the earlier torrent while Saint Anthony is still running very high. I can't think of a good explanation for this as neither watercourse is a particularly natural flow, both have a dam not very far upstream.

Tomorrow's big bicycle event, other than cycling bunnies, that is, is the Ronde van Vlaanderen, the Tour of Flanders. Just to get in the mood here is a video of George Hincapie at the 2006 Paris Roubaix.

Here's something I have ridden by a few times and puzzled over. It is next to Famous Dave's on Dan Patch Avenue, near the Grandstand.Go ahead and make up your own caption.

I don't know what they show inside there but for now I am going to assume that it is art produced by one of the children of James Wood. Really, go ahead and make up your own.

1 comment:

Old Maori Woman said...

The Kauri tree in NZ is a quite rare and exotic tree -- there used to be one on One Tree Hill, and I am old enough to have seen it before it died. They take a hundred years or more to mature, and very special circumstances are required for a Kauri tree to beat the odds and become a mature tree. So I'm guess that this is a gallery of art objects made from Kauri wood.