Thursday, April 1, 2010

Not a joke

Before leaving home I check the various available sources of weather information so I am always aware in a general way of wind direction. But the first task on every ride is to ignore what the cable TV and the internet have told me and actually find the wind. It usually isn't at all difficult. Today it was from the southeast.

I don't usually have a ride planned until after I find the wind. I have ridden in all directions from my house lots and lots of times. I start out, take note of the wind and then run down the mental list of how far it is to various places. It is often several miles into the ride before I settle on a destination.

I had heard on the tubes that Minneapolis has swept the parkways. A couple of miles into today's ride I decided to try to confirm that information.

This is not a joke. It is a pretty substantial haul from Roseville for a guy burdened by early season fitness issues but I made it. And I made it back. The flow has diminished quite a bit from the earlier spring torrent. I think its pretty interesting that there is still all of that ice still hanging on underneath the lip of the Falls. It provided a definite chill in the air on what was otherwise advertised as a day on which an all time record high temperature might be achieved. Bicycle milestones achieved today include first time in Minneapolis, farthest west season to date and farthest south season to date.

Back was easier. Tail wind, don't you know. I rode back on the River Road on the Minneapolis side as far as the Marshall Avenue bridge. They have newly paved pathway over there but I must say the street itself is a horrible mess, full of cracks and potholes at least some of which look punitive.

I had one of those great moments in cycling shortly after crossing back into Saint Paul. Marshall Avenue turns quite sharply uphill as it leaves the bridge. This is OK for the most part because I was going to turn left at the first cross street, Otis Avenue.

There is a stop light there. I was the first vehicle coming up the hill to not make the light so I was first in line in the left turn lane, cars opposite, cars behind me, cars to my right. The light changed and the cars from the other direction cleared the intersection and my moment arrived. Uphill, short light, gotta go. Left foot clipped in and in the top position, right foot on the ground. One power stroke with the left leg to get started against gravity and then one and one only chance to get it right. Today I got it right as the right pedal swung to the top of its arc my right foot came up and cleat engaged pedal without incident, without pause, without loss of momentum, I was clipped in and riding. It is true I have been riding Speedplay X-Series pedals for, oh, 35,000 miles or so, I suppose I SHOULD be able to get it right. But it is still a sweet moment when that uphill start comes off without a hitch.

For those who might be interested, here, courtesy of ParisDailyPhoto is a complete list of the 63 street food markets in Paris and a map showing their locations.

1 comment:

Too Soon Old said...

Covered, open, bird, old books, flower and biologique -- probably vegetable -- markets. One on Rue St. Honore is very close.

Nice bike story.