Friday, April 23, 2010

Warm enough, too windy

Instability of the sort ordinarily expected in spring may finally be making an appearance. It is going to rain here pretty soon, you can feel it in the air.

However, it isn't raining yet and I try to ride most every day that it doesn't rain. It was warm enough today, overcast and grey (which usually limits photo opportunities), and way too windy. It was NOT raining.

Here's something I had never seen before. It just goes to prove that if there is an economic niche that someone will come forward with goods or services to try to fill the niche.Who knew that you could rent a fence? Upon even slight reflection it makes perfect sense, but who knew? Certainly not me.

I have pictured this mini-park before at some time or another. It is a garden and a historical marker describing the ox cart trail that once existed there. I am pretty sure that the actual ox cart is new to this location, however.If you take a close look at that cart it seems to me to be pretty authentic, it even looks like someone may have been living in it. Recently.

It was coolish when I started and I had to stop along the way to adjust my costume. By pure happenstance the spot I selected was under this tree. I was standing there rolling my jacket so that it would fit into my jersey pocket when I noticed something unusual happening.You can't really see it in the photo but I was soon showered with white flower petals. This is an experience that I have had before but not one that I have every year. It just seems to me like such a nice gesture by the tree to drop those petals on me. It is an aromatic extravaganza.

Here is photographic proof that petals were being transferred from tree to pavement all around me.I rode on toward home, trying to get a bit farther east without sacrificing the distance I had already ridden south, hoping to retain my position against the strong southeast wind to make for a strong tail wind for the ride home. I ended up in the neighborhood east of Lake Como where I rode past the home of a guy I know from work just as he was pulling up in his truck.

What kind of guy purchases a mini-travel trailer in a color matching his truck?The same kind of guy who has a carved bear in his yard which may or may not be moving to Tennessee.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Petal showers are a rare reward for dedicated bicyclists.

Nice old ox cart.

Anonymous said...

It was a lovely post until the yellow. In flowers, it's great...in trucks and trailers, hmmmm...kinda Barbie-like, but, uh also cheery, I guess.

BTW...in the blockbuster 3-D movie extravaganza Avatar the little white petal/seed thingys fall all over the "chosen one". Don't get a big head about it though! :~)

jilrubia of the oxcart trail