Thursday, April 15, 2010

Target Field Station

TOPWLH wasn't available for the tax ritual until this morning. I got her to sign the returns and then hustled over to Kinko's (now known as Federal Express Office) for the copies. I was still able to make it to the Post Office before noon. The postal workers were on their best behavior and a couple of them even tittered politely when I exclaimed that I was filing taxes pretty early this year. I used to work with a guy who told me that each and every year he has to drive to the main post office just before midnight to file his taxes. I filed this year with over 12 hours to spare until the deadline, plenty early I think.

It may be an omen of some sort, with the taxes out of my life for another 360 days or so the sun suddenly broke through the overcast. Temperatures were once again much above average and the presence of a strong wind couldn't keep me from heading out.

A southwest wind led me over to the heart of the monster, downtown. I rode all the way up to this new deal. While I was framing the photo a roar of approval emanated from within the walls of the mostly publicly financed stadium. I have since heard that the local team won today's contest in a convincing manner.The white flowering shrubs come first. Then come the off white. Third up is apparently purple. Plus these have both leaves and blossoms. This bush is in Falcon Heights less than 2 miles from home. Looks like spring, doesn't it?I got a picture at two different locations and couldn't decide which I liked better. This one is in the Como neighborhood of Saint Paul. This yard is attractive throughout the growing season and I often pause here to admire the foliage. I took the suggestion of Variable Resister and went looking for a Smoke on the Water video. Through pure happenstance I suppose YouTube posted this video when I did a search for Smoke. This video is very, very 1968. Manzarek is playing two separate keyboards.

Krieger is brilliant, as he always is.

But in keeping with my preoccupation with flowers it occurs to me that Jim looks like some exotic hot house flower. I suspect he is on something, maybe multiple things, but his demeanor suggests to me that this is an organism which cannot possibly long survive in the real world.

And of course, he doesn't.

5 comments:

Jimi said...

Morrison is really cooked. Whatever demons he was dueling, he lost.

We'll find his grave in Paris. TT

Retired Professor said...

Outdoor baseball. In April. At some point, that will not seem like such a good idea. Not this year.

Emily M said...

Those are some lovely flowering shrubs.

And the baseball stadium is nice too. :)

Anonymous said...

Your earlier white flowers where a hardy version of Magnolia. These purple ones are PJM Rhododendrons. The stadium looks like some local stone, whose name escapes me. I think my alma mater over on Summit and Cretin is built of the same. Geologists???

jilrubia

Emily M said...

Jilrubia - I'm not a geologist but I have been paying very close (some might say obsessive) attention to the construction of the new stadium. It's Kasota limestone, quarried near Mankato.