Friday, April 24, 2009

Temperature plummets

I neglected to report yesterday that yesterday's ride was the first taken this year in summer costume*, no base layer, short sleeved jersey, shorts, no helmet liner, summer gloves. Well, it WAS 82.
(*The actual usual summer costume is sleeveless jersey.)

Today is was 73 when I got home, I was convinced that for today's ride I could repeat at least some of the parts of the costume. In deference to 73 instead of 82 I put on a light base layer but, come on, 73 is a summer time temperature, I was ready to go.

Out in the garage to unlock the bicycle I noticed that the northwest wind had a slight chill. The Weather Channel had reported that there was unsettled weather coming as a result of a cold air mass moving in to replace the extremely summer like temperatures. So I went back inside and got my arm warmers.

I rode my near in warm up loop as is my spring time custom. After having faced the north wind out in the open I detoured back home. I changed helmets to put on the helmet that I wear a helmet liner under and donned the liner as well. I also put on a jacket.

While I was riding I saw lots of people out and about dressed for yesterday. Bad choice. At least I was dressed for earlier today but even that was also not a good choice.

It was 58 when I got home, a drop of 15 degrees.

Verdict? Cold. Cold. Cold.

I was on the way home working hard, hurrying, trying to get home. It was uncomfortable out there. But a first is a first and here is the absolute first for this:That one is near the library and then I went around the corner and came to this:This one was pictured last year, and I probably wouldn't have included it as it isn't as impressive as the first picture. But this house is the one where that other tree is going to flower purple in a couple of weeks. I am quite likely to include a photo of the purple so I wanted to also include the white.

The front has passed through, it is officially cold again.

Here's an edit, I have been home for about an hour. After I posted the above I hit the link for "View Blog". That temperature gadget that I have on the side bar is now reporting a temperature of 46. That's like 27 degrees in three hours. Although it isn't as usual when the temperature drops as when the temperature rises that much in that short period of time, but it is still quite likely that a temperature change of that magnitude is going to produce interesting weather.

1 comment:

gfr said...

"Interesting weather" is often code for nasty and/or violent weather. I assume you sent the front my way.

That flowering shrub showed up pretty early. I haven't seen anything like it here yet.