Monday, April 5, 2010

Ten percent

Today I achieved ten percent of the annual mileage goal. I could check the archives but I am pretty sure this is early, probably about as early as ever. It has been hard work and there is plenty more hard work to come but that's one down, nine to go.

It was very grey today, the sun made one attempt to break through while I was riding but never got to be more than a bright spot in the overcast. Often on grey days I find photo opportunities hard to come by. Today was different, I found three.

Here is another in the continuing series "signs". This is pretty clearly a bicycling household. Note the image of a tandem on the yard light post.Last week when I photographed this area there was a line of ash trees each with a green stripe around the trunk. Now there are only stumps. I am going to hold off on the Vonnegut this time but we all know what I think.And has there been a bus company bankruptcy that I haven't noticed?I have seen these buses a few times parked in the west Fairgrounds parking lot, behind the area where the Midway sets up. I have been wondering about them and today decided to get a picture. If that company is still solvent it seems an odd spot to be parking its buses. I mean, the Fairgrounds is most assuredly anything but southwest metro.

2 comments:

Emily M said...

http://www.swtransit.org/

They appear to still be in business and I believe I saw several of their buses the last time I was downtown on a weekday, which was actually not so long ago. Still, that is a very odd spot to be parking their buses.

Those are very excellent signs.

lazerquest said...

My hypothesis is that those are the buses which carried all the SW Metro residents into the city during morning rush hour. When heading past the fairgrounds at about 4:30 there are usually a few buses headed toward the transitway, and I assume downtown.

It's possible there are no returns routes in the morning so it doesn't make sense to send the buses back to the suburbs once they've unloaded their cargo.