Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tulip time

This seems early to me. I am afraid that when real Tulip Time comes that all there will be here is a stem festival. This first group is in Shoreview.That wire around the flowers didn't distract much from my viewing pleasure. I am guessing it is present because rabbits in Shoreview eat tulips if they are not dissuaded.

This group is in Roseville. They are in the yard with all the native flowers that I photograph later on in the year.The proprietor of the yard was out in the yard so I stopped and chatted him up a bit. I told him how much I like his yard. I think he was pleased to hear that someone enjoys the results of his labors.

The bicycling goes well. After several days featuring rides to the south I have ridden to the north the past two days. The change in the weather pattern has restored what is the prevailing wind here, a northwesterly flow. I bicycle a LOT, believe me, I KNOW what the most common wind direction is. The northerly routes are the most commonly ridden routes.

Today and yesterday I came to a couple of well known to me spots where the pavement tilts upwards. These are NOT hills, at least not when I am fit. But in the midst of my earlier season struggles they sure seemed like hills. The last two days I absolutely spanked both slight rises, even accelerating on the way over the top. Fitness is starting to return.

I stopped by County Cycles. I have a minor mechanical issue with the new bicycle which I do not perceive to be a problem but which I wanted to discuss with an actual bicycle mechanic. Also, I like going into the shop on the first Saturday in the spring when it is sunny and warm just to watch the show. There were more people in there today then come in during an entire week in January.

You know that the shop is your home shop when three of the people working greet you by name, your favorite brake mechanic comes over immediately to see what's up, and a fourth worker, one I do not know (yet) wanted to chat a bit about seeing me out riding on the Transitway on Thursday.

Scott says the derailer hanger IS bent but that if it shifts OK, which it does (which surprises Scott, he says it shouldn't) then it isn't a huge issue. Scott said the slight noise I am hearing is metal rubbing on metal. He said that he knows I ride a lot of miles but that I would have to ride, his words here, an INSANE amount to actually wear anything out. Still, a bent hanger needs to be monitored. That's what I thought, sometimes it is just best to get a professional opinion.

3 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

You know it's May when there are pictures of tulips and County Cycle stories on your blog. Oh, it's April. Life is good (and sunny) here in Minnesota this spring.

Retired Professor said...

Nice photo gallery link for Tulip Time. That rabbit fence is only good for short rabbits. Around here the real problem is deer, and the big tulip beds in town have fences at least 5 feet tall.

Nice looking tulips.

I'm looking forward to some light north winds -- yesterday it was gale force here, and cold. You're having a pretty nice stretch of spring weather.

Bent derailleur hanger -- doesn't sound like something you'd want hanging off your brand new bicycle for long.

Anonymous said...

Up on the sand plain, that fence would only do you good if you wrap the bulbs in it and bury the whole mess. The cursed pocket gopher ate my own personal tulip festival two winters ago. The recovery is coming along...there may be new tulips planted this fall, in chicken wire liners.

Really lovely photos. Did you tell that man you have a blog following that also enjoys his efforts? -jilrubia