Sunday, August 30, 2009

Someone else's milestone

August.

Yesterday was cold, not really too cold, but cold. It was sunny and bright and pretty but it was cold. The high temperature for the day reached about 65 but the real source of the cold was a 15 mph wind gusting to 25 mph. I hate to lose a bicycling day in August and I really hate to lose a bicycling day at the end of the month but in the end yesterday I just couldn't get myself out the door.

Today was cold, not really too cold, but cold. It was past noon and the available hours for bicycling were rapidly departing with a temperature that had just barely crawled above 60. But there was only a light breeze so we went for a ride.

I don't keep extensive records for TOPWLH but I do have some rough totals of miles she has ridden. By my rough totals she today exceeded 500 miles for the year. Anyone who thinks 500 miles is not a lot of miles should try to ride 500 miles in a year before making that comment. I think it is probably her second highest total in a year following behind only the year when she rode across Minnesota.

By the time we finished it was actually starting to feel pretty pleasant. But this photo illustrates the steps we had to take to even attempt a dog days of August bicycle ride: long sleeved jersey and no longer worn but tied around her waist a full sleeved jacket.Corn for scale.

Closed circuit to Renee and everyone at Renee's: Thanks to everyone, especially Renee. It was great for me to see everyone again. Most of all, we had fun.

Somebody please make sure Heather sees this.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

I believe that she rode 125 miles during one week in Michigan. Anyone who doesn't think 125 miles in one week is not a lot of miles....

60 will seem warm in about 6 weeks.