Monday, August 24, 2009

Déjà vu all over again

Today's wind conditions were very much like yesterday's and I ended up with a ride for which the route very much resembled the route of yesterday's ride. However, with no infusion of either sausage or mustard there was a change in the quality of my legs, today I completely lacked the bouncy quality that I experienced yesterday.

*sigh* Once again I am returned to the status of mere mortal. It wasn't actually too bad, I felt okay, I just felt considerably less strong than yesterday.

On my way out of the garage I noticed my tax dollars at work as a school district employee mowed the athletic fields next to my house.This appealed to me as a photograph for the fairly obvious reason that it is no longer possible to get a "tax dollars at work" photo with me in it.

I ended up at Minnehaha Park again. I was surprised to find that there were still quite a few people there. The crowd on Monday compared to on Sunday was greatly reduced but there were still several groups of people around the Falls.

Still, with the reduced congestion I felt safe enough to soft pedal my bicycle into an area where I would never consider riding with the always dangerous pedestrians around. I very slowly and gingerly pedalled down to the geology marker at the corner of the twin gorges and got this shot back towards the Falls.On the ride back along the River on the Minneapolis side I came upon some paving activity. It isn't the hottest day of the year but it was warmer today than it has been of late so today was a good choice for laying down some asphalt. A crew was paving the furthest south parking area, no paving yet on the path but there were various pieces of equipment working on the path making it clear that path pavement is soon to come.

There were ominous looking signs up yesterday that stated that Como would be CLOSED on August 24 at 9am. This interested me and as I started out on today's ride I intended to see what was up over there. Well, it may well have been closed at 9am but by 10:30 when I rode through there was no sign of any obstruction. I suspect that the placement of this pedestrian bridge may have occurred at 9am and that that may have been the cause of the closure.That's another sign that the Fair begins on Thursday. That's the "Space Needle" and the building formerly known as the Hippodrome for perspective.

More news on English to Finnish translation tools on the internet. Google seems to have gotten up to speed since I was there the other day and provides this translation of "I love my thumb levers":

Rakastan peukalo keinoja.

1 comment:

Santini said...

You're getting a lot of mileage out of that asphalt incident.

Nice photo of the falls.

Do you want me to mail you some sausage?