Friday, August 28, 2009

Fireworks

It just seems to not register on me until that first explosion every year. The State Fair has a fireworks display every night at the conclusion of the Grandstand show. They have been doing this for as long as we have lived here in Roseville in the shadow the Fairgrounds. But still, it just doesn't seem to have made a permanent impression.

So there I was, early to bed so that I can be early to rise, peacefully on the edge of sleep, not asleep, not fully awake, when KA0BOOM. Fireworks. It just shouldn't be a surprise after all this time but they surprised me again last night.

*sigh*

With a strong northwest wind this afternoon I tried to get more west than I usually do into a north wind. I visited several municipalities seldom visited. I rode through parts of Arden Hills, New Brighton, I think Saint Anthony and definitely a big chunk of Nordeast Minneapolis.

I got as far as the corner of 29th Avenue, Arthur Street NE and Saint Anthony Boulevard. Here is a picture of the house on the corner where those three streets meet.That house is pretty typical of the houses in that neighborhood, a smallish but solid stucco with considerable care paid to the yard plantings. Nice house, nice neighborhood.

Here's another house I rode by in a neighborhood which is actually extreme northwest Roseville.This corner of Roseville is on the far side of Highway 8 which means that I had to ride through New Brighton to get there. It is possible that some readers may recognize the house but then again they may not.

2 comments:

T.Tousan said...

That looks like the house that once belonged to Clarence and Roberta Burdick, if I'm not mistaken. The trees have grown quite a lot since I was in that house last at least 35 years ago. TT

gfr said...

There are fireworks on the first night of Tulip Time every year, and it still catches me by surprise. I have no clue on the houses, though I did think that the bottom one might be the Burdicks' old house -- even before TT confirmed it.