Monday, August 31, 2009

Someone else's milestone, part deux

I finished up the month with a two hour bicycle ride. This allowed me to achieve a milestone of sorts by having more miles ridden on my bicycle in Minnesota for the month of August than miles ridden on my bicycle in Michigan for that same period. By two miles. OK, even I concede that that isn't much of a milestone. I note that for this year I am 26 miles behind the total that I had by the end of August 2008. This is OK, as I am still plenty ahead of where I need to be to be able to expect to reach my year end goal and further last September I had an all time low for September in the midst of if I recall correctly, the rainiest September on record for this reporting station. I hope this means that September 2009 will be a month with plenty enough miles to move my 2009 total back ahead of 2008.

My milestone is pretty puny today however when compared to this.Here is a semi-official announcement from the USTA Northern Section website. A trip to the national tournament is way cool, official blog-u-lations to TT. I suspect by now he has obtained a better photo but this is the only one I could get off the USTA Northern Section website so this is the one I have to use.

Of course, there is still plenty to aspire to. The record compiled by Dodo Cheney and her many national championships is still out there, Dodo has set the bar pretty high. The linked article is dated 2004 and credits Mrs. Cheney with 347 championships, I found another link from July 2009 which credits her with 382.

This evening in France: Brest 1:2 Nantes. Nantes gets their first road victory of the season and moves into third place, tied on points but ahead in goal differential. I thought Brest was off side on their goal, a view supported by the replay.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Since I know how many miles you rode in Michigan, I know you had a pretty impressive month. September will be a clean slate now that you're retired.

That Dodo Cheney story is astonishing.

Tennis Tousan said...

Dodo is the best. I wonder if she's related to Dick. Nice job tracking down the team photo. I hadn't seen it, but knew that it was going to be posted. Thanks for putting it up.
TT