Thursday, June 11, 2009

Traffic energy test

The sun came out today even as the temperature remained somewhat below the average. But by noon or so I felt like it was plenty OK for a ride.

So here's what I think of traffic at 12:30pm: It was a little disappointing actually. It was still pretty active.

I rode past the library. Construction has reached a new stage, they have started to tear the front off the old building.Actually I guess it looks more like DEconstruction has reached a new stage.

This was about 5 miles into the ride and by the time I finished with the photo about 25 minutes had passed since I left home. 12:55. Suddenly, miraculously, almost as if a switch had been thrown, traffic calmed. As the teenagers used to say, and maybe they still do, like, totally, completely calmed.

I rode to Vadnais. This is the first weekday ride to Vadnais in a couple of years, usually I wish to avoid a heavy traffic stretch on Victoria near 694. No problem at all at 1:30.

I believe I may have to rescind my earlier bird species identification. With less human activity the big blue birds were spending more time nearer to shore and I got a better picture.It is a little bigger than I thought and it does have the yellow bit on the underside of the beak which is supposed to be characteristic of the great blue.

I tried to get a couple more pictures but eventually decided I should stop harassing the wildlife and come home. I was home by 3pm just as traffic started to regain its nervous energy.

1 comment:

gfr said...

Lunch hour.

It is a beautiful bird.