Saturday, June 20, 2009

Retired bicyclist out for a ride

There was just something about today. It is Saturday and everyone can ride on Saturday. But today my attitude was more like retired bicyclist than Saturday bicyclist. I took a long, leisurely ride, meandering a bit, not riding for distance or speed, just riding. I got an early start, out the door by 8:30am, leaving plenty of time for wandering while still allowing me to be home before 11, home well before the sun became punitive.

The second wave of flowering trees is suddenly upon us. This is a well kept yard on the corner of Sheldon Street that I pass about 100 times per year. The big flowering tree is a contrast as all of the rest of the trees on Sheldon Street are oak trees.I dodged around the car show and headed over into Saint Paul. It was a really nice day for riding. I headed up Summit. Summit can be a problem on weekends as it is a favorite for racer boy. This time I was out early enough that there were only a few other riders. I at least once every year ride to the Cathedral and then up Selby to the Curling Club.This is the one and only place where I buy bread, Great Harvest. There is major road construction going on in front of the bakery.It's a good thing for them, they have already gotten that new tree in front and they are also getting a little boulevard between the sidewalk and the street.

The ride back from the Curling Club always includes a short ride down Virginia Street. This is one of the last remaining brick streets in Saint Paul. This particular intersection also still has the stone curbing.I like to ride down this section of street and imagine myself riding the cobblestones of the spring classics, particularly the Tour of Flanders.

Having once photographed a street, it quickly turned into a photograph the pavement kind of day. Here is the corner of Iglehart and Moore where on June 6 a "Paint the Pavement" was held.This intersection is only a block away from the often photographed Saint Paul roundabout. They are starting to get a quite non-traditional street scene going there.

And lastly, a yard from within a mile of my house. These people are definitely not going for the lawn effect.Today's ride included a significant mileage milestone. I rode 30 miles today. After yesterday's ride I had 69 rides for the year and 1,724 miles, an average per ride of 24.99 miles per ride. After today's ride I have 70 rides and 1,754 miles, an average per ride of 25.04 miles per ride. My annual mileage goal is 4,000 miles which I hope to achieve with 160 rides of 25 miles per ride. I start the year without much bicycling fitness and ride as far as I can, always less than 25 miles. By the time I switch over to the LOOK I am most often riding 26 miles. It is a long haul back from average distances of less than 20 miles but today I made it. I have the average, now I need to do the rest of the rides. It is still June, 90 more rides seems easily doable. Today is the first indicator that 4,000 miles is within reach.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I love the wildflowers. More lawns should look like that.

That's a lot of miles. 26 miles still qualifies as a longish ride for me. But it works for you, so good going. (Literally.)