Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lesson (re)learned

With the sudden intense uptick in internet traffic related to Fort Crazy Barley I am feeling a definite respect for my elders vibe. In line with such, I relearned an important lesson yesterday from a respected elder. The lesson? The value of recycling.

Yesterday was a perfect morning, today not so much. It rained a bit over night and the streets were wet with weather radar sites indicating a strong likelihood of additional showers. In other words, a good day to go to work. Instead I set off to do a couple of errands, including one that promises to be a regular once a week chore.It is early in the season and the produce was limited to mostly lettuce of various kinds, chard, beet greens, snap peas and some onion and fresh garlic. Oh, and dill, fresh dill. But at the market there was an older gentleman, probably at least 60, who had ridden there on his comfort bike. I looked at him, looked at the sky and headed for home. If he can do it, I can do it.

With the post from Michigan as inspiration it had suddenly (re)occurred to me that a two hour ride could be done in segments. There was never going to be a time when the radar looked promising enough to set off on a two hour ride, but if it isn't actually raining there isn't any reason at all why a few laps closer to home would not be possible.

The GRider, having been to one professional bicycle race in her life, considered my plan and pronounced that I was setting off on a criterium. Having been to one more bicycle race in my life than she has in hers, I was forced to accept her new definition of loops near home.

I got in a nice one hour ride before lunch, took a couple of hours after lunch and then got in another pretty nice one hour ride at about 2:30. My minimum mileage requirement has been met well before the time when I get off work. Getting off work right now would not allow bicycling as it is raining, and has been for about an hour.

So thanks, and a tip of the hat for reminding me to re-cycle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. There are a lot of people in the farmer's market crowd that could use some regular recycling.

Santini said...

Happy to be of assistance.

The Farmers Market sounds like a good idea. It is on Wednesday here -- thanks for reminding me.