Thursday, June 25, 2009

Always saving a little bit

It rained pretty hard just before and continuing after dawn today. But it was just a cell passing through, not a front. Once the rain stopped it was always going to be a nice day.

I waited until it was dry before heading out just after 2:30. It was warm but the dew point was only 62. I realize that many would consider that to be an inappropriate use of the word "only". But according to the dew point article on Wikipedia, a dew point of 62 is "OK for most, but all perceive the humidity at upper edge". I thought that the power of evaporative cooling available on a bicycle would probably make the humidity tolerable.

I also set about to make sure that I wouldn't wear out by riding very conservatively, always at every moment saving a little bit to make sure I could finish what I was starting. I never rode hard.

At least one loyal reader is certainly already aware of this but it looks like hard times in the boat business. Here is evidence from Gate 3, the northeast campground at the State Fairgrounds.There is some sort of used boat sale going on. Perhaps the boat expert will be able to identify a couple of the items for sale. There were a handful of people kicking the tires when I rode through but attendance was down considerably from the old car show. Those people kicking the tires today should all reconsider and refocus their attention on a NEW boat. I bet I know someone who agrees.

I am a little disappointed about the turtle. That whole thing had potential to be a lot more fun.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Inappropriate use of the word 'only', for sure.

The DNR website even had a map that indicated no known sightings of that turtle in this area, so I, too, am a little disappointed. I have to assume the wildlife management guy knew what he was talking about, and I have no personal contacts with the MI DNR to inquire further.

Emily M said...

That blue boat on the left is a 2009 Larson Senza 206. It's even the same color as the one that is pictured in the catalog. And I highly doubt that it's used - they've only been building them with those particular graphics since last July. Mmm... The red one is also a Larson, but I can't tell which model.

And yes, people should be focusing on NEW boats. I definitely agree. Still, this was kind of fun.