Sunday, June 21, 2009

Holidays invented by greeting card companies

I am not a huge fan of holidays invented by greeting card companies. But as I explained yesterday to my darling dafter, of them all, this is the one I like the most.

Last night after dinner TOPWLH and I walked over to Snelling Avenue to see the show. The street rods go cruising in the evening. Fans come and set up lawn chairs along the side of Snelling and enjoy the free show. There were lawn chairs side by side for as far as we could see in either direction.

I was pleased to note that I could still identify a large number of the cars. I am especially adept at Fords and Chevrolets from about 1949 to 1961 or so. I can also do the other General Motors cars (Pontiac and Oldsmobile) from the same era based on their similarites to Chevrolets. There were a huge number of 55, 56 and 57 Chevrolets, particularly the Bel Air 2 door hardtop. In the cars parked near to the spot where we were watching there was a really nice black and white 58 Ford and this old Plymouth:That car is a little too old to be in my identification comfort zone. Further, I don't think that is the stock grille and there are also missing chrome bits which help with the identification but I am certain that it is a Coupe Special Deluxe, my guess is 1947.

Today's weather forecast was for 71 percent chance of a thunderstorm and I spent a goodly part of the morning sitting around waiting for it to start. With all the crowing yesterday about average distance per ride this seemed like a bad time to have a ride shortened by rain and having my average go back under 25. But I finally headed out shortly after 9am. TOPWLH said I could ride a criterium but actually I got in a really nice out and around the furthest distances I dared venture from home and got to 22 miles before I was back into the immediate neighborhood. It started to sprinkle as I passed the 25 mile mark on an even nearer in loop but I sucked it up and finished. It still hasn't really let loose, at least nothing like the weather in Michigan.

I swung into the parking lot for the Como Park pool. As is probably obvious, there isn't a pool there any longer although the markings on the parking curb still indicates that if you are not there for the pool you may not park.The pool was getting old and maintenance costs had apparently soared out of the reasonable range. With the old pool gone now the neighborhood is divided on the issue of whether or not a replacement pool should be constructed and if so, what the pool should look like. NIMBY, I guess.

I recommend right click and open in a new tab on the link below to start the music.

Here is my favorite Barracuda.1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S

3 comments:

gfr said...

In sparkly red, even. I didn't know you did requests on your blog. 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 in black and red? The car that TOPWLH was driving when we met and married.

I hope your Father's Day was a good one.

Jimi said...

Happy Father's Day. TT

Anonymous said...

SWEET!!! Wow, I'm impressed. Didn't even know I'd like that car so much, I just made up the request at the spur of the moment. Of course, I must have known your penchant for the musical version based upon past posts. Sparkly red always rules though. Thanks! And hope you had a lovely Pagan Ritual Father's Day Fest.
jilrubia