Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ten percent

As I left the street this morning on the way to work I discovered evidence of street sweeping on Fairview (wet shoulders mostly). I think the deal is that all of the main streets out here in the suburbs are county state aid highways (or CSAH as we say in the public land business). So the street sweeping in the neighborhoods is done by the city but all of the county roads are done by the county. Today the county delivered.

This made today's ride a voyage of discovery. Despite a pretty strong wind from the south I set out to the north to check two stretches of Hamline, the Larpenteur to County Road B stretch that I actually do not ride very much, and more importantly the overpass over 36, the last remaining barrier to the northern route. The county delivered.

So I rode around in circles trying all of the main streets, Lexington, County Road B, eventually Cleveland and finally Larpenteur. The county has delivered.

All of which makes today a I guess triple milestone day. It is the last ride on the Axis. The Axis went over 400 miles for this year. And I went over ten percent of the usual annual mileage goal. Last year's ten percent day was April 20 so I guess I am ahead of schedule. I went over 400 while in Lauderdale. Lauderdale has been swept.

I checked the public works project going on in close proximity to my front yard. Does this look like progress?I guess it is, the defective hydrant has been disconnected and hauled away. But somehow no hydrant at all seems to me to be a bit more discordant than an "out of service" hydrant.

I checked that wine bottle. It appears to actually have been some kind of cheap sparkling wine, it has one of those plastic "champagne corks". I can confirm that it is empty. There is also a beer can (Special Export). And that block that looks like it might be bricks is in fact bricks. Quite obviously the area now occupied by that hydrant was filled, and at that filled at least partly with demolition debris. This is just another thing about my house I could have lived happily without having to know.

When I got home I hung the Axis back in its summer, fall and winter spot in the rafters of the garage and went down to the basement to fetch the LOOK. I pumped the tires and moved the bicycle out to the garage. If I ride tomorrow . . .

1 comment:

Santini said...

A new hydrant would inspire more confidence for me than a repaired one. I could be wrong.

Good job on the triple milestone. I clicked through to last year's post on April 20, and enjoyed reading it. On a slightly disturbing note, I have no memory of having read it before.