Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bon Anniversaire TOPWLH

I know what your favorite thing to have for your birthday would be. In place of that I offer a photo of her namesake lake. Ice out on Lake Emily:And I also offer a short story. Wireless called last night during the baseball game. She demonstrated to me that sometimes coaching actually takes even if it seems at the time of the coaching as though no one is listening.

Wireless wanted to report that some fielder in the major league baseball game she was watching had missed a ground ball as a result of the ball going OVER his glove.

Flash back to softball practice.

We went through this ritual countless times after a ground ball went through the legs of a fielder:

Coach: "Over your glove or under your glove?"

Slightly exasperated player: "Under."

Coach: "Do more balls go over your glove or under?"

Slightly exasperated player: "Under."

Coach: "Many, many more balls go under your glove than over. So what do we do?"

Slightly exasperated player: "We keep out gloves down."

Coach: "Fingers in the dirt."

I was recognized on today's ride by another member of the County Cycles staff. Today it was Dan, out riding on his fixed gear who called out after we had met and passed on opposite sides of the road, "Hey, Gene!"

Hi, Dan. Sorry I didn't recognize you until I heard your voice. I maybe should have recognized your bike. I was remarking to myself before we passed that the set up looked vaguely familiar.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Ah, softball memories. I am sure I am not the only member of the undefeated Texas Rangers who can recite that piece of coaching verbatim. We'll have to ask the Sventek girl.

Happy Birthday to TOPWLT.

Emily said...

P.S. - Is that the Dan also known as Fuzz? Of "Gene's your uncle? I LOVE Gene!" fame? Sounds like fun.