Monday, April 13, 2009

Serendipity

This is a ride I intend to do every year but often do not. Lots of factors have to line up before I can ride the dirt trail across the Grass Lake park.I can't get out there early in the year as the shaded areas of the trail through the woods are very late to give up snow coverage. And then when the snow and ice finally does melt the road can be very muddy. Additionally, this is a longish ride, I can't do it until some level of fitness returns. And usually about the time I am fit enough to make the ride the streets get swept and I am on the other bike. I won't ride my other bike through here. Not only is this route a dirt road but there are also a couple of sections of the road that have pretty loose gravel.

Today the pieces all fell into place for the ride.

Speaking of sweeping, I discovered today that another big stretch of Hamline has been swept, the entire portion north of County Road B2. That includes the section pictured second in the recent post about dirt on the road. The remaining unswept portion is the overpass over 36 and the couple of blocks leading up to the overpass from both sides. Those stretches are still very messy. The bike change is close, but it isn't here quite yet.

Today made seven straight days with a ride, obviously a first for that this year. Seven rides, 166 miles, 100 miles for the last four days. Right, now I feel completely used up, I am tired.

With all my hand wringing about the fate of FC Nantes I have neglected to report the other news from French football. This past weekend Lyon scored late to rescue a 2-2 tie with Monaco but when Marseille thumped Grenoble 4-1 Marseille moved top of the table. With 7 to play Marseille is poised to perhaps deny the 7 time champions their 8th straight title. A further problem for Lyon is that Bordeaux has risen to third, one point behind Lyon and only 2 down to Marseille. Lyon travels to Bordeaux this weekend for what commentators are referring to as a championship 6 pointer. A loss for Lyon would also move Bordeaux ahead of the defenders and would make it quite likely that Lyon could find themselves at the end of the season on the outside looking in for the first time in 8 years.

1 comment:

Santini said...

The dirt trail across grass lake looks like a very nice ride.