Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Out of service?

I think today was the warmest day of the year, rising to 19 Celsius. Probably some of you know that my personal benchmark for uncovering my legs in the springtime is 20 Celsius. I may venture out in fall with bare legs a time or two after the temperature descends below 20 but on the way up 20 is the rule. Long pants today. And I wasn't the only one. There were many more bicyclists out there today then even a week ago and lots of the new ones were dressed for July.

I found a baseball game again, this time Saint Olaf and Saint Thomas.Again I watched a half inning, the top of the seventh. According to the scoreboard, which was operating today, Saint Olaf had scored 2 in the 5th to lead 2-1, then 2 in the 6th to lead 4-2. It was 4-3 entering the 7th and sure enough the Stolies got 2 more to be leading 6-3 as I left the field. It went smoked single to right, sacrifice bunt (pictured above) third baseman to second baseman covering, ground out to second, runner to third, double to the left field corner, pitching change, triple over the center fielder's head, strike out looking (1b, 5-4 SAC, 4-3, 2b rbi, 3b rbi, Kc).

I was circling the cul de sac upon arriving home and paid a little closer attention to something I had only glanced at on the way out. We know that street sweeping and flushing the hydrants are the two main public works projects of early spring. My street, as previously reported, has been swept. It looks like they came by today to flush the hydrant. The results are not necessarily the best news for the nearest house.I am guessing that the fact that they have left the hole open and posted an orange cone indicates that they are still working on it.

Interesting trash that they dug up while working, that appears to be an old wine bottle. I find myself wondering about the history of that hydrant and what the story is that led to someone burying a wine bottle in the hole when they closed up after installation of that fixture.

1 comment:

Santini said...

68 is a good number. Mine is 65, more or less. I'm still wearing tights, but after being caught outside in my winter tights at 63 yesterday, I'm planning to switch to summer weight for the next few days.

It's always fun to see the boys of summer.

When we built our house, the landscapers came in and bull dozed over all of the trash in the yard before adding fill dirt and top soil. There was a lot of small construction trash and some stuff from carpenters' lunches. Still, a wine bottle is a puzzle.