Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dressed for March 15

There was some rain overnight but no violent weather has appeared here yet. But it did stay cold.

Cold but dry and relatively calm. I feared that violent weather might mean that I would lose the whole weekend but today ended up being a riding day and out I went. I not only got a ride I got the long ride that I like to have on the weekend, for the second time this year riding thirty miles.

I dressed not for yesterday, but for the Ides of March. Full winter gear returned including the hat that covers my ears and the vest underneath the jacket. At about the four mile mark I arrived at the end of a driveway just as the resident of that house started out for a ride. He had on jersey and arm warmers but bare legs. He went one way around the block and I went the other, when we met again on the far side he was on his way home for more clothes.

I was maybe a tiny bit overdressed meaning that I had to do a little fiddling with my jacket and vest zippers to occasionally let some cold air onto my chest but with that adjustment I was warm but never overheated. It was cold out there.

I think I previously described this lot at the foot of Sucker Lake as the most dangerous parking lot in the Twin Cities. I have since reconsidered and it should more accurately be described as the least secure place to park your car in the Twin Cities.They sweep this parking lot fairly regularly. Neither of those piles of glass was there the last time I rode through there. Notice that the one closest to the camera looks just a tiny bit aged, perhaps from early in the week, while the one farther away looks brand spanking fresh and new.

If you park there park up by the street, down here by the trail entrance you are going to get your window broken.

I rode through Vadnais and the number of people fishing declined over the last week in proportions approximately equal to the decline in temperature. Only the die hard were out fishing today.Only the die hard were out riding bicycles.

The new street up from the lake allows a new view of the lake. There is a shallows near to the west shore line that was never approached on the previous roadway. The shallows is where the more exotic avifauna which may be about are often hanging out. This is where I have seen the eagle and the cormorants.The water is still a bit deep for some species but these two herons seem to like it just fine. The water won't be as deep later on in the year and it seems possible that more photo opportunities may present themselves.

There is one problem with this location, it is only about half way up what is still a relatively daunting hill. If I stop on a hill I have to get restarted on a hill. Starting on a hill with clipless pedals means you get one chance, and one only, to successfully engage the pedal and the cleat. If you miss you have to put your foot back down and try again.

Today I nailed it on the first try.

1 comment:

gfr said...

"Die hard" sounds a lot like "hard core" to me. Good job on the long ride mileage. If you're going to average 25 miles per ride for the year, you need those to balance out the early rides. Still, impressive. Vadnais looked a little gray --