Friday, April 10, 2009

Dirt clarification

The street in front of my house HAS been swept. As has one other neighborhood that I ride through. However . . .

I ride a great deal on Hamline Avenue. On the northern route (which has been every day of late with the persistent wind from the north) I ride all the way to the end of Hamline and duck into the neighborhood behind Lake Josephine. The route varies somewhat but always involves some sort of circuit of Shoreview and then usually a return route that passes County Cycles and hooks back up with Hamline at County Road C for the return trip. On a 20 mile ride I ride about 5 miles on Hamline.

Both of these pictures were taken today on Hamline Avenue. The first one is on the way out, the overpass over Highway 36:This maybe isn't quite as bad as it may look as there is a relatively clear area between the dirt and the white line and I ride there. On the other hand, on the return trip I come across this just this side of County Road C:I pretty much have no option other than to ride through that. So, yes, I am still riding the Axis.

In fact I usually ride between 300 and 400 miles on this bike before the streets are clear enough to convince me to switch over.

The milestone for today is my mileage for April exceeds what I rode in March. It appears that even though it remains cold by my personal bicycling standards the season is well and truly underway.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Yeah, that's not just the 'I don't ride my nice bike in that crud' issue. It is also the 'I need the wider tires for decent traction' thing. Understood.

First bloggable photos of dirt?