Saturday, April 11, 2009

Outdoor baseball

The weather channels all reported a bit of warming and a shift in wind direction to have the wind be out of the south. This was an encouraging break in the too cold pattern that has prevailed of late and I decided to set out a bit earlier than I have for any previous rides this year. I have finished the last several rides with the temperature at about 48 and it was about 48 when I set off today just after noon. Well, some would say 49, and others might plead for "almost 50". I am sticking with 48.

Somewhat to my chagrin I discovered once out on my bike that the wind was still predominantly from the north and east. It was most cold heading east. I decided to trust the weather types and go ahead and ride to the south. In a eureka moment the professionals turned out to be right. I had a tailwind for about half of the ride out and after a wind shift I had the benefit of a following wind again on the ride home.

The southerly route proved to be somewhat of an inspiration. Once I crossed the border into Saint Paul I discovered that most of the streets there have already been swept. This was true all throughout the Como neighborhood until I crossed Raymond into Saint Anthony Park. Also once I got further south and across 94 the streets were mostly unswept but on the other hand they had had much less dirt spread on them over the winter than the streets in Roseville. Conditions were mostly of the sort where I could ride my other bike and I am considering whether I should do that the next time I head south. The season is well and truly on.

It was my first time down Como Avenue in at least a couple of weeks and it was my first meeting of the year with Tall Bike Guy. He was laboring uphill into the wind near Snelling. I was downhill with the wind and I raised my hand in greeting. Tall Bike Guy proved to be just like the rest of us, not yet in mid-season form as he raised his hand in a return greeting. He quickly realized his mistake and his hand dropped back to the bars from whence he rang his bell. Tall Bike Guy doesn't wave, he rings his bell.

I got all the way into Saint Paul. I know that college baseball teams play lots of Saturday games so I went looking for a game at Saint Thomas. And sure enough, Hamline at Saint Thomas.I watched half an inning, Hamline batting. It went ground single to center, line out to shortstop, runner doubled off first, swinging strikeout. Or 1b, F6-3 DP, Ks for those keeping a scorebook.

I continued and made my turnaround at Prior and Saint Clair. I don't ride that neighborhood much but I can tell you after today that approximately Berkeley (one block past Saint Clair) and Prior is the top of a hill. For some reason there is not a water tower there. I descended Saint Clair to the river. This is a scene probably photographed hundreds of times this week, it is the view of the river from the top of the bluff at Saint Clair and River Road.As of today, the missing college student is still missing.

Very dire news from France, FC Nantes was defeated 1-0 by home standing Toulouse today while Caen defeated bottom dweller Le Havre 2-1. Caen vaults over Nantes and now, after a promising run earlier in the season, Nantes have once again descended into the relegation zone. Only 7 games remain in the season for les Nantais to rescue themselves from the ignominy of immediate return to Ligue 2.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Our visitor OSLO enjoyed your temperature references.

Tall bike guy!

Nice photo of Axis.

Tennis Tousan said...

I guess the cops have stopped searching for the missing guy. He may be in the river. It's a sad story, but much like one from last year about this same time.

I hear Lance is having trouble with the French biking police. This may not be his year either.
TT