Saturday, June 28, 2008

Play Misty for Me

Today I recycled. I actually rode twice, once just before noon, and then again in late afternoon.

On the morning ride I was about a mile and a half from home when I felt a drop of moisture. I made it to the garage and locked the bike up, preparing to call it a day. Then I noticed that it wasn't actually raining and the sun seemed to be trying to come out. So I went out again. This time I never actually got into any rain but I did have the odd experience of riding right at the very edge of where it had rained. I was riding on a dry street, turned a corner, and I was riding on a wet street. All of this without actually ever being in the rain.

But soon enough I got hit with another few drops and when I made it back to the garage that time it was lunchtime anyway so I stopped.

Then later this afternoon I went out again. Once again after only a few miles I felt moisture through my helmet vents so I stampeded for home. This time when I reached the garage it was so obviously not raining that I didn't even actually pull into the driveway.

I headed out again. On the final excursion I rode in some heavy mist including one episode where the street got wet.

But I persevered and got the miles that I wanted.

Those white trees that I featured a couple of days ago with the claim that they seemed to be illegal in Roseville? Today I noticed that not one, but two of my neighbors on my street have those trees in their yards.

The Drunk Cyclist, aka Big Jonny, was run down by a car over a year ago. One of the interesting things about his blog is observing how his recovery goes. He is a young man, by my standards, but now eternally old as a result of his very serious injuries in the crash.

Here is his June 26 entry, quoted here in its entirety:

Recovery

My pain is with me always.
It is the last thing I feel before I fall asleep,
and the first thing I feel when I wake up.

When I get up from this chair,
it’ll take me a minute to gather myself.
The pain will be there.
It is always there,
waiting for me.

And, in football news, FC Nantes has signed another player. It is not an absolute rule but it is a widely observed protocol that no team can be considered to be truly "big league" unless they employ at least one Brazilian. FC Nantes has signed a Brazilian defender to a 3 year contract. The player is 22 year old defender Douglas Ferreira, who like most Brazilian footballers at this level is known by a single name, in his case "Douglão" which apparently is Portuguese for "Big Doug".

Allez Nantes.

Allez España.

Allez Big Jonny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By my count you rode three times, nearly 4. Good persistence.

Drunk Cyclist isn't one of my daily reads, but I am aware of his story -- by talking to you, I think. Pretty powerful description. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

That drunk biker has prematurely captured the essence of aging, and the aches and pains that go with it. Effective writing.

Go, Spain. TT