Friday, June 13, 2008

My reaction to today's results in Suisse.

The business traveler brought me the orange hat as a Euro2008 souvenir. The tag said it is from the "Oranje Collection" and it cost 9.95 Euros.

And the score today was Nederlands 4, France 1.I don't want to be a complete fair weather fan but it now looks to be very difficult for France to advance. The group next plays on Tuesday with the two games being played at the same time. The official line from the French team is that France can still salvage their tournament with a victory over Italy, provided Romania does not defeat the Dutch. France will have to defeat Italy AND have Romania NOT defeat Nederlands if Les Bleus are to advance. The problem for France is the Dutch have clinched first place in the group and will have nothing more to play for. Romania advances if they win. If Nederlands win or that game ends in a tie the winner of the other game advances but only if that game produces a winner. If France and Italy tie Romania would be the most likely to advance. Romania would advance with a tie but even with a loss they would advance on goal differential if the loss is by less than 3 goals. Complicated enough? The Dutch are in, the other three are all fighting for their lives.

If France exits the tournament I shall be officially shifting my allegiance to the Oranje. It is the logical choice, I have the hat and I have the orange clothing. I do admit to being intrigued by Espana in Group D and Portugal in Group A. In Group B it is impossible to not admire Croatia but I still think Deutschland has the best team. A Germany-Holland final looms as a possibility. As does Portugal-Spain. I guess it is too early to tell. France is not yet dead.

The bicyling was abbreviated today. The last eight-tenths of a mile were ridden in the rain. Plus it was cold, less than 70. Cold rain is not a combination that I can endorse. The bicycling was abbreviated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For clarity, the orange is the Dutch? (Hope's colors are blue and orange, but Calvin's are yellow and black, so that clue is not definitive.) Go orange?

Anonymous said...

Orange is a good color and is also associated with some of the Irish. I don't think Ireland is in this tournament, so I think the Dutch are a good choice. They also seem to have a pretty good team. They score goals. TT