Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers Day circumnavigation

There was fairly vigorous weather blustering after dark yesterday, including a sounding of the sirens. We had some wind and some rain but the worst of it, including whatever it was that triggered the siren, stayed away from here.

Today dawned a bit cool but quickly warmed and has evolved into another one of the nicest days in the history of days.

TOPWLH and her dafter (also mine I hasten to add) went off late this morning to visit with TOPWLH's father and the dafter's grandpapa. Those two seem to be Bud's favorites, I cannot imagine why. They will be here later but I was left free to ride.

Sunday is long ride day. The previous long ride was over to the Bald Eagle Lake area. Today I made that additional left turn off Otter Lake Road and went over to and around Bald Eagle.

I was riding across the north end of the lake, the less developed end. I was idly thinking about how this lake got its name. I guess that someone saw a bald eagle there once. I was thinking to myself that it has probably been a while since there has been a bald eagle sighting at this lake. Just as I was thinking that I rode around a bend in the road and there in the swamp to my left was an eagle platform. The eagles haven't settled in yet but clearly someone other than just me has had the thought about not enough bald eagles at Bald Eagle Lake.

This view is from the east shore, the more developed end.I got to the park in White Bear Lake where I know the water fountains are on and the toilets are open. I had a snack and a thorough hydration. I was sitting there thinking that I was 28 miles into a ride and that 28 miles isn't too bad, it is only a bit farther than my more or less usual ride. But I also was aware that I was still 16 miles from home.

So I planned carefully. I decided to avoid Lake Vadnais and the climb from the lake up to Rice Street. I turned on Centerville Road and was soon closer to home than I would have been for the Vadnais climb and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. But about then I came upon the hill on Western up to County Road B2. I was reminded yet again that it is a zero sum, if you finish at the same spot where you begin your net climbing is zero. And if you ride across that deep glacial valley between where I live and where I rode to today, you are going to have to ride back. Down the hill, up the hill, there just isn't any escape.

I had fun and today's ride is the new longest ride of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

44 miles? Impressive.

I like the photo of Bald Eagle Lake -- nice name for a lake.