Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bicycle photos

Kerry's Serotta: Bicycling doesn't usually play much of a role in politics. I ride, I approve of bicycling and I am going to say that I think this picture cost the candidate more votes than it gained him.The problem for this candidate was that he was widely perceived as an elitist and then he showed his common touch by being photographed on a $6,000 custom made bicycle.

Bush's mountain bike: I ride, I approve of bicycling but I don't approve of this bicycling picture either.How many times did he ride past that flag before they got just exactly the image they were seeking.

Oberstar's Lemond: I ride, I approve of bicycling. This is Jim Oberstar, the chairman of the House Transportation Committee. He represents northeastern Minnesota.Here in Minnesota we always have lots and lots of federal money available for bicycle paths.

Obama's comfort bike: I ride, I approve of bicycling. I am sorry, this picture seems hopelessly contrived.If Kerry hadn't been photographed on his Serotta wearing lycra would Obama have gone out of his way to be photographed on a comfort bike wearing jeans and with a pull along behind. It does not seem genuine, it seems calculated and definitely politically motivated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kerry's Serotta appears to be geniune, though the handlebar tape is too clean Two water bottle cages is good, he's over 50 and needs to watch the dehydration issue. Lots of vents on his helmet, bike shoes and gloves, pretty authentic. He's past the age (as am I) where Lycra is his friend, though.

Bush's bike look authentic, though why all those shock absorbers if you're riding on a smooth flat surface? Aero bars on a mountain bike? No gloves? Nice glasses. Tennis shoes and toe straps are reasonable for the mtn. biking sub culture, I think. Just the one water bottle cate, though. Not planning to be out long. Both he and Kerry have the screw top bottles which leak.

Oberstar appears to have a thermal water bottle, and I do not approve of the 'full kit' look unless you are actually a member of a racing team. Clipless pedals but mountain biking shoes, at odds with the full kit. Very clean looking handle bar tape again. Two cages and one bottle, not planning to be gone long.

Obama does have kids, but .... no gloves, no water bottle cage, no seat bag, where's all his stuff? Tennis shoes are consistent with the rest, as is a helmet with a visor. He looks okay in jeans, but his rear tire looks a little soft. Looks like a photo opportunity, not a bike ride. As do they all. Except maybe Kerry. Who really should get some baggy shorts to wear -- it's what the kids are doing.

Good post.