Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Owasso station

No jury today.

I went to work today and while rummaging around on some other task rediscovered an old map posted in someone's cubicle. It is a map of the State of Minnesota but instead of the more or less expectable road and highway grid this one has all of the old railroads. And instead of towns it has all of the old stations.

So I looked at the Soo Line where it passed through what is now Roseville. I knew this but for some reason during the last discussion of railroad stations I failed to make the connection that Roseville as a city is only about 60 years old. Prior to that it was Rose Township. And that old map had a Rose station and an Owasso station.This is the Soo Line main line near Lake Owasso. I was looking for a sign or perhaps at least a spot that looked like an old station site. I got this nice picture of the tracks.

For any former railroad employees and also for my dafter who knows the rule I realize that at the moment I took this picture I was violating the very first rule of being in the vicinity of railroad tracks. I am stopped between the two rails for the purpose of obtaining an optimum angle for the photo. But as we all know one should never ever under any circumstances stop between the rails. If you are between the rails you are in the only place where a train might come. If you are stricken by lightning or some other calamity and collapse to the ground, if you are not between the tracks you will not be injured by the next passing train. If you are on the tracks your chances are not nearly as good. First rule, never ever pause between the rails, that is where the trains come, that is the only place where the trains come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good rule, the one about railroad tracks, but maybe a little overly cautious. I could be wrong. TT

Anonymous said...

If you have that rule about railroad tracks, you don't need any others. People die in that space fairly regularly. Still, a nice shot. I assume you checked both directions VERY thoroughly before stepping into that spot? Gotta love a little local railroad history.