Friday, June 6, 2008

It might have been too windy.

It rained this morning. When the rain let up a little bit the wind started to blow. Like, really, really blow.

But I am a weather optimist. This afternoon I got my stuff on and headed out of the driveway. It started to sprinkle while I was doing a lap around the cul-de-sac. I did another couple of laps trying to convince myself that it wasn't actually happening. Eventually I pulled back into the driveway. I got the bike into the garage and stood in the open garage door surveying the possibilities. The wind started to blow, like really, really hard. Branches went flying across the cul-de-sac, leaves knocked off the trees by the earlier session of wind swirled around and began invading the garage. I gave up.

I was inside taking my stuff off but looking out the front window as I did so. Suddenly it was bright out. I paused in my task and went closer to the window for a better look. It was not only brightening up but the wind seemed to have stopped.

I got my stuff back on and rode out.

The corn is up. It might not be terribly clear from this photo but there are lines of green now visible to the naked eye.The whole wind stop thing proved to be very temporary. It came back with a vengeance.

I already have had three days off the bike out of the first 5 days of the month. When you miss 4 of the first 6 it sorta puts that whole most miles ever ridden in the month deal completely out of the question. In fact, it puts the whole reasonable number of miles you need in June if you are going to reach your annual goal deal in jeopary as well. So I persisted, despite the wind.

It was really hard work but I got the miles that I wanted.

It might have been too windy.This is on Tatum Street within a mile of my house as I finished up the ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably too windy. The photo is nice punctuation to your point.

June and July were hard core months when I was training for TRAM, so new PR's are highly unlikely. I will do well to ride the average number of miles for June, as those three TRAM years really weight the average towards the high end. The average is higher than any non TRAM year.