Monday, May 5, 2008

Very late start

I got away from labor much later than usual today which resulted in a ride against the clock. And against the thermometer.

It was warm and sunny most of the day with predicted highs at or above the average high and perhaps even approaching 70. It never quite made either of those levels. It was about 65 when I headed out.

I have so far this year resisted the impulse to rush into summer costumes. Today I rode in shorts but with both a base layer and a jersey on top, and with arm warmers. I briefly considered a jacket and with 2 miles to go when I turned into the now shaded neighborhood and into the wind I was not warm enough. I wished for the jacket but only 2 miles to go, I sucked it up and am now trying not to whine about it.

One of my neighbors had an extremely traumatic moment which I witnessed. They have a downhill driveway onto a lightly traveled street and two pre-schoolers. The slightly older was on his bike with training wheels but is not yet old enough to have mastered the concept of brakes. The younger was in a stroller which of course does not feature rider operated brakes. Dad was holding the stroller when the bike started to roll out into the street, directly into the path of an SUV. The father released the stroller, which of course, set it to rolling towards the street and with a panicky cry of "NO!" dashed after the bike.

Fortunately the SUV was traveling at an appropriate speed for a light traffic back street and the driver was alert. She had no trouble stopping with at least a car length to spare. The bicycle arriving next on the scene also came to a halt as we allowed the traumatized family to reconfigure themselves into a single group.

With the late start I did not stop anywhere for a photo. This shot is from my driveway just after the ride.Soccer has broken out. And there is a sunset of sorts. The state of the sky with clouds obscuring the sunset shows why it was that it was getting cool as I approached home.

Recovery ride for the most part, but I had a couple of decent moments. For example, I felt strong on the uphill portion of Como by the Fairgrounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"a stroller which of course does not feature rider operated brakes" -- made me laugh. Happy ending to the story, fortunately.

It sounds like a nice ride. Nice evening sky photo, too.