Tuesday, May 20, 2008

More flowering trees

I have been informed by telephone and by TOPWLH that Wireless got in her first ride today. She called while I was riding so I called her back when I got home. I troubleshot her non-functioning bicycle computer by telephone (spoke magnet adjustment). We will have to watch her blog to see if this truly is a bloggable event.

On my ride I saw the tall bike guy and he is working on another bike. This one is a recumbent of sorts but it doesn't resemble your average recumbent any more than his tall bike resembles a regular cruiser. This recumbent looks like he is welding it together himself and it most resembles the type of customized motorcycle generally referred to as a chopper. It has the high bars which used to be called ape hangers and a rider posture which is reminiscent of the Hells Angels. The tall bike guy is an interesting character.

It was extremely windy but I rode out into the wind. Today this took me on the more or less regular route to the north. I passed this driveway. There used to be some sort of church headquarters and residence down at the end but I guess they have closed up shop and moved. The flowering crabs stayed behind.The order is trying to sell the property with the most recent development proposal I heard being for a medium rise condo development. *sigh* Well, at least there is one good side to the mortgage foreclosure crisis, at least some of these more questionable development projects are at least temporarily onto the back burner.

This is the same yard where I photographed the first flowering shrub to appear here this year. Today I noticed that they are amply prepared for the loss of the flowers on that first tree.Good for them, where they used to have white, they now have purple. And pretty handsome purple at that.

Today in Italy Alberto Contador finished second in the first individual time trial of the Giro and moved himself into a position from which I think he is going to win the Giro. This is a good result for a guy who broke a bone in his elbow just a couple of days ago. The broken bone was thought to possibly be a problem because it was in a spot where it would affect Contador's time trial position. This smells worser and worser.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I want some of what Contador is taking. No pain.

Lovely flowering shrubs. Spring would be really nice, if it were a bit warmer.