Sunday, May 18, 2008

Laundry in vain

Yesterday I organized all my winter bike gear and ran it all through the washer and dryer. I optimistically assumed that I would not need the full sleeve base layer, the long sleeve jersey, the tights and the various gloves and mittens.

Guess what?

I wore all of the above except the gloves and added a jacket as well to cope with temperatures in the 50s. My observation is this, however: Last week it was cold and sunny and it felt like a really nice day for early April. Today the sun is so high in the sky that it is unmistakably nearing summer. It felt like an unseasonably cool day in May. I was dressed for it and had a nice ride. I was amused to see many persons out getting some exercise while clearly dressed for Friday. Friday was 80, today was 55. The people who I saw wearing shorts and a sleeveless top just cannot possibly have been warm enough. As for me, I will be running quite a bit of that stuff through the wash again before summer is officially declared to be present.

Today was the long ride and I must admit that actually going somewhere is a lot more fun than riding in circles. I got all the way to the lakes and noticed this view of the Lake Vadnais twin. It framed up nicely so I took a picture.The guide and I were over to County Cycles yesterday to get her a couple of things that she needed to get a bicycle on the road. She asked about this sign and the truth is I have always meant to get a photo. I am pretty sure about this but have no independent confirmation. The signs are still along the tracks in the place where they were placed back when the railroads were the only way to get around. The signs were markers for the train crews. When I worked at the Great Northern signs such as this in the urban core identified junctions (e.g. Minneapolis Junction, Union Yards) and as you moved out from the core the signs identified the location of suburban stations. This is along what was the Soo Line main line (that part I know to be true) and I believe that it identifies the spot where the Roseville Station was located.I know I promised yesterday that French football discussion was being suspended but apparently I lied. There is one game left in the season, Olympique Lyonnais will meet Paris Saint Germain on Saturday at Stade de France for La Coupe de France. Both teams will be going for a double as Lyon has been crowned Ligue 1 champion for the 7th consecutive year while PSG has already captured the League Cup.

Then, and only then, will football turn towards Euro 2008, the European championships. The news here is that France coach Raymond Domenech has named a provisional 30-man squad for the tournament but Juventus striker David Trezeguet is not among the players listed. Trezeguet won the 1998 FIFA World Cup with France, and in the 2000 European Championship scored the golden goal in the final against Italy to give France the title. He also played for France in the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups and Euro 2004. Trezeguet was named one of the top 125 greatest living footballers in 2004. His omission from the team comes as a surprise to many but could perhaps be foretold by World Cup 2006 when coach Domenech showed a clear preference for Franck Ribéry in the spot formerly occupied by Trezeguet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a very nice shot -- it looks like spring, even if it didn't feel much like it. We've got a frost advisory here all the way to the Indiana border for tonight. The blues are at a vulnerable spot in their development, so this could be bad news. Global cooling has dire consequences -- it hits my favorite food supply. No ride here, the SLO's just left, and I'm as tired as if I'd taken a long ride. We had a nice time today at the tulip farm, however.