Friday, May 30, 2008

Another milestone

As with most number compulsive bicyclists, I am usually unhappy with rain towards the end of the month. It is just one day, a ride missed, but those rides missed at the end of the month feel like a bigger loss. Usually at the end of the month I am working on some number or another, some number that the accumulation of rides over the entire month has brought into a sharper focus. This time, though, I am going to come right out and confess that after the hammerfest on Wednesday I almost gratefully accepted Thursday's rain showers. I needed a rest day.

I didn't need another one today. In the face of threatening skies I set out to try to get to that number that I have been obsessing over for the past couple of weeks, ever since it loomed as a possibility. And I got there, although, as the photo shows, just barely. I took the photo just after I got put my bike away in the garage.The dry spots are under the tree, the wet spots are only the beginning, it is now actually raining out there. I turned and headed for home at the first hint of wetness and, although I didn't get as many miles as I wanted, I got enough. And I didn't get wet.

The result? May 2008 goes down as the May in which I recorded the highest number of miles ever recorded as having been ridden in any month of May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job. Given the cold temperatures this month, that's an unexpected result. And I believe there's another day left in May.