Wednesday, May 21, 2008

1,022

If you set out to ride 4,000 miles in a calendar year the best approach is 1,000 miles before Memorial Day, 2,000 miles between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and !,000 miles after Labor Day. With today's ride the first part has now been accomplished.

The newspaper has reported that corn planting is picking up speed. I was riding past the corn field while tilling was going on.Last year I missed this step and was never sure if the minimum tillage was done at the same time as the planting. Now I know that it is not. Today was tillage, that implement on the back of the tractor does not include planting gear. I suspect that tomorrow is planting.

I have been presented with some extremely interesting information about the much photographed Minnehaha Falls. This shot from below the falls was taken recently by Wireless and has been shamelessly appropriated from her Flickr site.She asked me a question about some geology deal there and I had to seek assistance from the geology guy at work. The geology guy loves his rocks and when you ask him a question about rocks you don't get an answer, you get a seminar. I asked if Wireless's "Limestone" photo was actually limestone or something else. I not only got the correct answer (Saint Peter sandstone) I got a link to everything you might ever want to know about the Minnehaha Falls watershed including lots of information about geology. There are further links in the document to other interesting bits about the Falls. I found it all very interesting, I hope someone else does too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive mileage total especially for a cold spring. TT

Emily said...

Gotta love the thoroughness of the geology guy. I feel smarter having read that. Thank him for me, as it was something I didn't realize I'd apparently always been interested in.