Saturday, May 17, 2008

LOOK passes Axis

I waited around all morning expecting for a little warmer weather to ride in. Apparently 55 is no longer warm enough for me either. Eventually it warmed but as it did I noted when I checked the weather websites that the forecast for 1pm was "Thunderstorm".

Because I am truly insane I went out anyway. It wasn't actually raining so I decided to get at least a couple of miles by circling the neighborhood.

I just opened up Google Earth for a little ride analysis. I did a little fooling around with the "ruler" and found that the maximum crow flies distance I got from home was 1.4 miles at which point I was most direct street route home 2.1 miles from home. And I kept at it. On three occasions I felt a drop and immediately turned and bolted for home. On each occasion as I neared home the threat passed.

26 miles.

The sun broke through a couple of times. This was actually my second lap past these trees. On the first time past it was grey and overcast but I said to myself that I could pass here again when the sun was out and get a picture.And I did. The vaguely not yet blossomed purple stuff in the middle there is lilacs. Lilacs are not quite there yet but they are clearly very close to bursting forth with the annual display of color and that wonderful lilac smell.

Today's mileage moves the LOOK past my winter bike and into the lead for miles ridden so far this year. I am always a bit surprised at how long this takes every year as it never feels at the time I am doing it that I am actually getting that many miles on the Axis.

In France today, Paris Saint Germain has escaped relegation with a 2-1 victory at Sochaux on the final day of the Ligue 1 season. Lens will go down instead. In Ligue 2, Nantes tied Reims and finished second. Le Havre and Nantes are joined on the promotion list by Grenoble which will be making its third appearance ever in the top league and its first since 1962, a run of 45 years outside the elite. Paris FC faded to 10th in the 3rd league and missed promotion. Carquefou has 2 games remaining in its season but has moved up a couple of spots in the standings and has much improved its chances of avoiding relegation from its classification. Discussion of French ligue football is hereby suspended until at least August.

That bicycle race in Italy still hasn't gone up any hills of particular magnitude and won't until at least Wednesday. Tomorrow is pan flat, Monday is a rest day, Tuesday is a time trial. With no climbing there is no drama and it remains not very interesting from here. Cycling News reports, however, that Italian television coverage of yesterday's stage was watched by 18% of Italian TV viewers so at least they are finding it interesting. Perhaps they are captivated that Tour de France champion Alberto Contador is maintaining a position near the overall race lead despite not having trained properly as his team was not invited until the last minute. Today's stage winner Riccardo Riccò referred to Contador in post-stage comments yesterday.

He said after the stage, "You are not able to go so strong with such short number of days of training." It appears that there are doubts within the peloton about young Mr. Contador.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

26 miles is a lot of riding around in circles. Nice flowering shrubs.

The Giro may get more interesting lately, but other than the flap about how Contador got so strong just sitting on the beach, it's been dull. I can see why Levi said that there was plenty of time to ride himself into shape.

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of blooming vegetation. I await the lilacs, too. The aroma and purple flowers are a sure sign of the warm season.

Congrats to Nantes on promotion. Can they stay in the top league more than one year? TT