Sunday, November 18, 2012

Only index remains

We had a little geography problem after the hockey game last night. We were headed for a neighborhood restaurant which was initially described as being at Como and Pascal. I ride through that intersection on my bicycle easily over 100 times every year and was not convinced that there was a restaurant there that I had never noticed. Pressed for details the person who had selected the restaurant noted that it was at Pascal and the street leading away from the main entrance to the Fairgrounds.

Armed with this information we all agreed that the street must actually be Horton, which we knew to be a sort of alternative Como in the area of the Fairgrounds and Como Park. We were wrong.

It turns out that the street leading outwards from the Fair entrance (the continuation of Dan Patch Avenue you might say) is Midway Parkway.
Oh, of course we all agreed after finally all finding ourselves at the intended destination, of course, it is Midway Parkway.

What we then couldn't decide upon is just exactly where is Horton? Other than being an elephant in a Dr. Seuss book we ended up being a little uncertain.

Well, I live in the neighborhood, I own a human powered vehicle and I have lots and lots of spare time. And today was a very nice day for human powering of my vehicle. I set out to find some answers.

Right away, here is where the problem begins.
I am standing at the corner of Hamline and Como across the street from Como Park. However, close examination will reveal that what arrives from the west at that intersection as Como departs to the east as Horton.

Why would they do that?

Probably some land use issue arising in the early history of the city and that wonderful park out there because if you cut through the woods across the street now on the south side of HORTON (there is a path, no problem) you come within a very short time to the corner of Beulah Lane.
It looks to me like Como between Beulah Lane and Hamline was abandoned at some point in the past to eliminate one of those five corners intersections.

It was a really pretty day out there today, don't you think?

I followed Como along towards the east to make as complete an investigation of this thing as possible and came to this pretty interesting spot, the intersection of Como and Como.
And actually it is the intersection of Como, Como and Como. I am on Como Avenue about to enter Como Place, Como Avenue continues towards the southeast on camera right but additionally an examination of the building facade across the street will reveal that the street leading away camera left down towards the lake is Como Boulevard. Yes, indeed, what you are looking at is the intersection of three different streets all named Como.

Not good planning.

But what of Horton?

I checked back and after beginning at Hamline Avenue Horton seems to peter out here when it merges with West Como Boulevard at the shoreline of Lake Como a bit more than a block east of Lexington.
I hope that clears that up for everyone else, I know that at least I have a much more clear picture of the whole Como-Horton-Midway Parkway confusion.

I am confused no more.

Token lake photo for the person who believes that every bicycle ride MUST include at least one lake (you know who you are), Lake Como from the southeast corner, pavilion visible across the lake.
Pretty day, don't you think?

Those following along will probably have figured out that the whole posts named after fingers progression that has been going on here of late is a countdown. And with today's curling into the fist of the that pesky middle finger there remains only one. And that is where I stand.

I have never done this before as I hate to announce anything before it actually happens for fear of jinxing the outcome. But . . .

Today's ride reduces the number of miles that I have to ride to achieve my annual mileage goal to a number easily manageable in just ONE ride.

3,976.

How? Dogged perseverance and good fortune in November weather are the main things. And more miles in November than in July. Even if it begins to snow before I complete this blog entry I will make it to 4,000. I live in an area of the city with the standard 8 blocks to a mile configuration. I can ride my bicycle down to the corner and back, 2 blocks, a quarter mile. 4 iterations of that pattern, a mile. 96 times? 24 miles. That I can do if absolutely necessary sometime on warmish sunny days between now and January 1 even if I have to do it between high banks of, bad word here, snow. Anyone who thinks I wouldn't actually do that misunderstands the hard work and obsessive behavior that has gotten me this close. I will not be giving up NOW.

But I probably won't have to. The weather forecast calls for at least a couple more, perhaps several more unseasonably pleasant for November days in the next week.

Pretty day out there today, don't you think?

5 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Yes indeed, a very pretty day.

I think I have a pretty clear understanding of the strength of your obsession.

I will admit to being quite confused about the location ot Horton, the Who and Perry Como.

Santini said...

Congrats on the mileage. 24 more -- they still need to be ridden, but it's looking good. Good job.

Jimi said...

Thanks for the explanation of the many Comos and the very short Horton. I think my confusion has abated a bit, too. And I now know about Java Train - a nice local eatery.

Congratulations on your mileage. You deserve the "A" that you getting for getting to 4000 miles.

TOPWLH said...

There appears to be a plethora of roadways named Como.

Emily M said...

A very pretty day. And I believe you have two lake photos, do you not?