Monday, November 26, 2012

How to tie your shoes

I am going to go with what the presenter says: At this point in my life one of the life skills that I believed that I had really nailed was tying my shoes.

But for me as for the presenter, not so. I too had lived that same sad life of incorrect shoe tying.

Go ahead, take a look.

For me it was like that moment when you are about 5 years old and your grandfather shows you the difference between the overhand knot that is the only knot you know and a square knot (I am pretty sure that isn't how it happened for me but I am telling this story and we all know the rule to not spoil a good story just for the sake of the truth). Eureka, this knot is better.

Since I originally saw this video in another day of fairly mindless surfing I have been tying my shoes with the stronger version of the knot. It takes a bit of getting used to.

You have tied your shoes that same way for so long that you don't even think about it, you don't even recognize the steps anymore, it is all of a single piece in your mind, all just one thing.

When you relearn tying you have to again recognize the steps, you have to be aware of where the loop is, just exactly where it goes in relationship to the other parts of the knot, which finger pushes it there, which fingers pick it up on the other side, lots of little details that you are not currently thinking about.

But . . .

You do, in fact, get a much better, stronger knot, a knot which does not come loose. You get a square knot version of the knot you have been tying.

Live long and prosper.

3 comments:

Jimi said...

I guess I'll have to try that one, too, although I'm not sure that I'm retrainable.

Santini said...

Oddly enough, I have a shoe tying post in my queue.

TOPWLH said...

LOL. I laughed several times and then tried it. Cool.