Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Off yer duff

I last rode my bicycle last Wednesday. In the intervening days my level of inactivity has been pretty intense. Today was finally the day to do something.

I wanted to go to BestBuy anyway and I know from past experience that it is about a mile and a half from my door to the BestBuy front door. That makes a three mile walk, an activity and a distance that has worked for me in the past.

Plus I wanted to get a walking pace look at the nearby pavement. It snowed on Thursday and has been frigid since but the snow on my back deck is starting to do that sublimation thing. There hasn't been any actually melting but the snow is just plain disappearing. I wanted to assess the street to see if maybe, just maybe there might yet be a rideable day before real winter arrives. I found this within about two blocks of my house.
So some people seem to think it is still doable. I am going to agree with that person that the pavement is OK for riding. I am not going to agree that it is still warm enough to ride, today was way too cold.

I walked to BestBuy and got the information I need. They will free deliver any HD flat screen 46 inches or larger. Since 46 is about the lower edge of the range I am considering and since they affirmed that free delivery includes removal of the old set I am now definitely in the market. I am newly interested in this topic because TCWUTH recently pointed out this cartoon to TOPWLH.
Pluggers need men to come to remove their old TV, it weighs more than 100 pounds and furthermore is unwieldy, no good place to grab on.

On the way home I walked through the mall. Note this was not actual mall walking, the mall is between where I live and BestBuy, as long as I was out there were a couple of stores at the mall that I wanted to check for specific items. I don't see what is so horrible about mall walking, it is warm in there and at the mall near where I live there are lots of people and lots of interesting stuff to look at.

I don't see what is so horrible about it but I do admit that I don't actually care for it.

This bit of turf is torn up for the second winter in a row.
Last year they had just put the new path in late in the fall and the new sod hadn't really had a chance to take. They fixed it this summer, though and I am surprised to find that again the first appearance of a plow has piled up way more grass than snow.

I got off my duff today and took a walk. Being outside is good.

4 comments:

Santini said...

Clear pavement is only half the battle. Your bottom photo doesn't look encouraging to me.

Much lighter TV's are a serious boon to mankind.

TOPWLH said...

I love this post. Yay BestBuy. Free delivery and disposal of our plugger TV!

Retired Professor said...

I like the 3-4 mile distance, as well. Three doesn't quite get me anywhere interesting, four seems a bit too much sometimes. I find being outside for an hour most days to be helpful for my mental health.

And of course it is good for your bones.

Emily M said...

I am glad you found the comic - I was highly amused by it last week. Good news from Best Buy too - I knew they'd be helpful.