Monday, November 15, 2010

On foot

I have not formally declared the season to be over (that means I haven't brought my bicycle down into the basement yet). Today's temperatures were above average for the day, the sun such as its puny November self is, was out. It looked like a good day to be outside.

The greatest glory of the bicycle is the amount of territory you can cover compared to the amount of territory you could cover in the same time while walking. A close corollary is the amount of stuff you can see compared to the amount of stuff you might see while covering the same amount of territory while speeding along in your car. The problem with a walk is you don't get very far, but what the heck, I took my camera along with me when I set out for the first extended pedestrian activity since the last day in France.

Surprise, surprise.

I walked about three miles which means I never got more than about a four minute bicycle ride from home. And yet . . .

This is along Roselawn near MidOaks, about .75 miles from home. It looks like that oak tree was partly hollow and the top part broke off, nearly bringing down some wires.Whew, that was close. That wire is the cable TV and internet leading into that neighborhood, it is not the line that eventually delivers those services to my house.

This is on Ryan near Prior, about .5 bicycle miles from my house, a little closer when I can walk across the field (which today I could not).Another tree down. Apparently rumors of a big, wet snow storm have some basis in truth.

I have seen these guys a few times but have never gotten a picture. They run away when I am on my bicycle and the time I was in my car when I saw them I was a mile past them before I could even get slowed down.Apparently they are at least slightly habituated to humans on foot. They were cautious but not overly alarmed about my presence. There is a bird feeder around the corner of that house which had about six turkeys clustered around it.

So I have some photos that I took earlier while riding that I can use if I need to for this National Blog Every Day of the Month Month and I thought I would have to use one of them today. I was surprised to find interesting stuff while on foot.

If the guy who took this photo and is currently scanning all of his slides isn't going to use this, I am.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith, pre-nuptials.

4 comments:

Jimi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Santini said...

Nice job making lemonade.

Walking is good.

Emily M said...

Wow, Mom is so TAN! And that is a lovely photo of the both of you. Did I mention that I am thoroughly enjoying the slide project? Because I definitely am.

to said...

I think I had been reading War and Peace outside by the pool (swimming now and then to cool off).
Jimi, your post was accidentally removed. I am curious.