Sunday, November 7, 2010

You're just a kid

I had an excellent reason for skipping bicycling on a day in November spectacularly suited for that mostly non-November activity. As excellently reported elsewhere on the internet (and also the place where I stole this picture) I instead had that rarest of opportunities, the opportunity to attend a 90th birthday party.For all (including me) who are complaining about the effects of aging, be aware that every time I start up with any of that in his presence Bud just looks at me and reminds me that I am "just a kid". Well, compared to him most anyone is just that, a kid. Congratulations well earned I should say.

A good time was had by all.

I have some stuff of my own from my most recent bicycle trip to Minneapolis. Good stuff too, I think. I took the pictures then but saved them knowing that posting every day in National Blog Every Day of the Month Month would lead to days when I was short of material.

The city of Minneapolis has added an extremely welcome bike lane on the Franklin Avenue bridge.They have also taken a further step in advancing bicycle safety at a heavily bicycle used intersection at the west, or campus, end of the bridge. They have marked a bicycle box on the street at one of the most dangerous spots in the intersection. The bicycle box is an innovation taking hold in Portland, Oregon, but clearly there is going to have to be a little more raising of general awareness before it works here. The idea is for the cars to stay out of the box.We will advance by taking tiny little steps.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Bud really does look good. I'm glad he had a good day. When he tells you that you're "just a kid", you pretty much have to accept it. Evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

I've never heard of a 'bicycle box.'