Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Just blogging about blogging

JBAB, which come to think about it, is pretty much what I do here anyway.

My life experience tells me that if I repeat any sort of physical act for three days in a row that the second day is the hardest. The first day is measurement, the second day is hard, the third day it starts to feel a little bit familiar and I can start to gauge how well I am doing.

Today it went a little better. Part of the joy of bicycling is the free time, I just ride along thinking about nothing and everything or nothing or whatever I feel like. Day 1 that freedom of thought was completely missing as I obsessed over where to go and how far I had to go before turning to make sure to get a desired distance, all sorts of details. Day 2 I was still thinking mostly about how hard this was and whether I would be able to do it. Day 3 was easy, the zen aspect of being out there magically returned. I floated along enjoying myself thoroughly.

It was still pretty grey today and a few degrees colder. That mid week thaw that some of us are still desperately holding out hope for seems less and less likely. Photography also seemed pretty unlikely but I had slipped the camera into an inside pocket.

Walking a predetermined distance is easy if you live in a grid pattern city. You pick out the edges of a rectangle of such dimension that walking the edges would give you your desired distance. Then you only have to leave your house, go to the four edges and then head on home and the distance is complete. The good part is that even for the relatively small distance that I can walk this leaves lots and lots of different routes for three miles.

Today's route took me past this impressive snowman.Just as nearly everyone of us has, I have snowmanned a few times and getting one of that size together requires a commitment.

I found a couple more examples of storm damage. This one is apparently such a juicy morsel that I only had to pause to give it a close look and a young couple in a pick up truck with branches and chain saws in the back stopped. The young man wanted to know if I was the homeowner and if I wanted advice on dealing with the problem and saving the tree.I suppose its better than not having any job at all.

I briefly considered giving them the go ahead but I am pretty sure they were going to want a deposit or something and that was for me a bridge too far.***

Here is another one on the same street.Both of these spots are within .5 bicycle miles from my house, a bit further than that on foot.

Here is a place where the snow is still winning.I am pretty sure that the most likely explanation is that those people are not home. Snowbirds? Already in Florida?

JBAB.

***WWII reference

1 comment:

Santini said...

Clearly no car has been out of that driveway since the plow went through. Footprints go from the street to the garage, though.

Nice snowman, but I miss your guest rider for scale.