Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Today's blog post

I am willing to walk but I am not willing to walk in the rain. Yesterday's freezing rain reduced me to that most stereotypical of all retired persons, the mall walker.

Impressions? Well, first, the Apple Store is not busy at about 2pm and from just passing by I could see that the new MacBook Air looks way cool. It has even moved the iPads out of the front display area.

Second, I suppose as an activity that mall walking is doable but not very.

Once when I was still a young moohoo and we were living in the country a bat found its way through an open door one evening and into the house. My brother eventually solved the problem by knocking it out of the air with a tennis racket.

So when TOPWLH came charging screeching out of the basement this morning I knew just exactly what to do.

But first, how does a bird get into your basement? We turned off the lights, no sign of any light coming in in any of the obvious places (except those smallish openings that pass for basement windows). No drafts of cold air could be felt anywhere. And yet there certainly was a small bird flying around in the basement.Equipment notes: The pictured Wilson MidSize Graphite Force is certainly up to this particular task. The flexibility and strength of the graphite frame combined with the current application and pattern of nylon strings produces a useful and effective stunning blow (at least for small birds). The probability is that I have several other frames which would also be effective, in fact, I think I might have been better off with one of the Prince Graphite OverSize that I also have in the front closet. The truth of the matter is that the Wilson Force was on top of the pile and had the further advantage of not being encumbered by a head cover. Today, Wilson is our friend.

Technique tips: Shorten up on the grip and punch, much as you would at a head high forehand volley. My first couple attempts were with a standard Eastern forehand grip and a more or less standard stroke. The bird was too quick. I switched grips to something closer to a Continental and shortened up considerably for the final attempt, the coupe de grace. By the way, TOPWLH says I am her hero.

Who says life isn't entertaining?

3 comments:

santini said...

Excellent post. Pithy and entertaining.

Mall walking -- ewwww. But what to do? What to do?

Jimi said...

Did the bird survive the forehand volley stroke, or is it an ex-bird? Very entertaining post... and educational.

Emily M said...

A bird... in the basement...? That's very, very strange. Too bad you didn't get a photo of it before it became an ex-bird.

Hopefully it is not a harbinger of more birds to come.