Thursday, November 4, 2010

An ill wind blows harder

The sun is out and through the front window it appears to be a rideable day. But I went out this morning on some errands and discovered it to be about 10 degrees colder today than yesterday. I quickly decided that about 10 degrees colder than yesterday is too cold to ride.

I wanted to do something so after lunch I set out on a neighborhood walk. I was walking along feeling a bit sheepish to not be riding as it seemed kinda OK. As we all know, one of the main benefits of bicycling is that you can cover a lot more ground on a bicycle. For example, here is the corn field that I pass on nearly every ride before I am even the slightest bit warmed up. Today that was pretty much the turn around point of my walk.They have done some additional processing of the corn plant residue, some sort of chopping I think. I didn't see it. But the result is that the geese have moved in and are heavily involved in gleaning whatever geese edible materials remain.

OK, I didn't stop at the usual photo opportunity spot for the corn field. That spot is only 0.38 miles from my garage door and that wouldn't be enough walking to qualify as exercise. I walked out to near the center of the plot and milled around a bit, looking at this and that, things I see from the road but don't often see up close.

I think I got my two miles in.

The way home was into the north wind. I no longer felt sheepish about not riding my bicycle. TOO COLD. In fact, the whole walking into the north wind experience sent me to the store again, this time looking for a better hat for walking, something that covers the ears.

One final election thought. The people have spoken. On with the show.

4 comments:

Santini said...

That's a lot of geese.

I've had the same issue with walking. Everything is warm enough except my head/ears/face. A balaclava might work, but someone walking and wearing a balaclava looks a bit like they're planning to rob something.

Emily M said...

There's not much to rob in Roseville along his usual walking route, I wouldn't think.

You're totally right about that wind. It was nasty just walking to and from my car today. Brr!

Jimi said...

Geese are vermin.

TOPWLH said...

I am looking forward to seeing the hat.