Thursday, August 19, 2010

West Michigan monuments

Today I rode out to the north in search of a few miles. I got photographs of several scenes which are for us iconic to vacationing in Western Michigan.

Here is the horse barn along Lakeshore. Over the years this building gradually fell into disrepair but has now been completely refurbished. It seems as though someone may be considering boarding horses there again.Along through the woods to the abandoned stone wall and gate. The land behind the wall once formed the no doubt palatial estate of some rich person. Now there are several people living back there behind the wall. The wall is Michigan's Stonehenge.This is the wide spot in the Pigeon River where it empties into Lake Michigan. I think they call it Pigeon Lake. Purple loosestrife has a firm foothold.On the grounds of the power plant is an "Environmental Enhancement Park". It is no doubt good public relations for the power company. For a bicyclist it is a welcome public source of drinking water.This is the West Olive One Stop. I intended to go in but after stopping to take a photograph I realized that I had already used up my one stop. I rode on.Here is another of those views that we just don't seem to have in Minnesota. This is 160th Street in late morning. We have city streets that look like this and we have some rural areas where pine forests shadow the road. We just don't seem to have enough like this one, hardwoods creating a tunnel for the road to run through.The P-ster was here and she said she had told the people at her work that she was going to eat blueberries until she turned blue. I got a pretty good look at her just before she left and she was blue tinged but certainly not completely blue.

On the other hand, here is a photo of Bowerman's, our preferred source of blueberries.At Bowerman's they have eaten so many blueberries that their house has turned blue.

I am quite sure that our hostess will be able to review this set of photographs and quite accurately detail just exactly what my ride route was. It was a nice day, a nice ride in beautiful West Michigan.

1 comment:

gfr said...

It is the Pigeon River loop, one of my favorites. Though it is a bit on the long side.